Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Sassenach No More

I officially became a resident today - registering to vote, registering to donate my organs ( what the heck am I going to do with them when I am DEAD), and officially changing my ID to Justin's last name. Social security was step one - work ID step two and now I have a driver's license, so I am official.

Next stop - the bank - so that my debit card matches my license - and the nice Oriental man at the liquor store can check my ID before I use the card.

The lady taking pictures at the DMV was just charming. Bear and I went together, I went first because I had to be her proof of residence. As I was standing in line to get my picture she saw Bear. "Are you waiting for a picture, honey? she said, making the hand motions like she was taking a picture. Of course I thought it was charming, Bear thought the hand motions were a bit - well - she whispered to me that she is blonde, not stupid. Bear smiled at her said yes, but they hadn't called her number. "Oh, no problem sweetie, just get in line by your mom" She smiled at people and made conversation.
In ironic payback, Bear scrunched her shoulders right as her picture was being taken - giving her the first ever BAD driver's license picture of her young life. We decided she will lose the license in a couple of weeks and get a new picture - you know you'd do it too!


The guy in front of us needed a new license picture because he had gastric bypass and was now unrecognizable on his license. Made me laugh - my license still said I weighted 145 - the weight I was at 16. Last year when I got my Indiana license back in my maiden name, I changed the weight. I was afraid the police would be at an accident scene trying to figure out who I was and where the 145 pound girl was.

Sassenach is a Celtic term - Scottish as I understand it - meaning outsider - indicating a person who does not belong to the locals. I learned it from Diana Gabaldon, my favorite author. She is a biologist who decided to write some books - and she's really good at it. She is coming out with her last in the Outlander series of books about a family during the time of Culloden and the American Revolution - check it out if you want an adventure...I have preordered it and cannot wait.

6 comments:

Thoughts From Serenity said...

Wow...this is great Stacey. Belonging and being accepted are essential for the soul to feel alive, I think. You have come a long long way and I am so happy for you that everything is falling into its rightful place! You certainly deserve joy and happiness and lots of love...and it sounds like you have it all!!!! whopeeeeee!!! I am so very happy for you.
Spent about 2 hours this morning trying to catch up on reading e-mails and your blog. Was exciting to "HEAR" your voice onthe audio (and the ducks that I remember so well :) Now I have no excuse to even call you, because I can actually hear your voice on the blog!! My my, what wonders and inventions are yet to come! It was great hearing about the ducks and new baby goats (didn't know you got new baby goats...hope you can post pictures of them sometime so I can see them). Funny...they wouldn't "talk" when you wanted them to...isn't that just like a "kid" ? haha.
It is beautiful on the river today...sunny day...Dave went with his buddies to play golf in Logansport (he loves this group and it is soooooooo good for him) and Scruffy and I are ironing but on our way outside to re-arrange some plants in the flower pit and try to do some much neglected weeding.
Loved reading about all that is going on in your life and Justin's and the kids too. Was very nice and informative...I will try to get on and read it more often so I don't get so far behind!
Can't beliee Bear took a bad picture!!
Take care. Love you
Mom

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Oh Oh Oh!!!! I lOVED DIANA G!!! Even have an autographed copy of one of the books.

But.... the last one bored me silly. By page 300 they were still trying to cook the sausage for breakfast. I think there were just waaaayyy too many characters.

But, of course, I will still get the next book!

(I want a Jaimie!)

Anvilcloud said...

I remember the term, Sassenach, too. I read the first book, but I don't think this series really appeals to males.

Loner said...

Thanks, Mom for the nice note - always good to get caught up on people's lives.

See, I knew we were kindred sprits, Idgie! I thought the last one was slow - but turned out well.

AC - I think you're right, the second book had a lot of intrugue adn gossipy stuff - but book
three and four - lots of swashbuckling and fights and action, it was fun. This last one is set in the American Revolution - I'll read it and let you know!

NIna said...

I got the book and it's really cool. Just like all the others

Badpatty said...

I guess it's official, then: you're stuck with me.


Whoo-hoo!