Monday, September 26, 2005

Alone in the Morning

I am not used to sleeping alone. When I was a single mom there was always at least one child in my bed, sometimes two or all three. Now that I'm married, I find that I dislike sleeping alone even more than I did when I was single. The bed is too big and there is no warm furry man to scrunch into if I am cold or if I wake up and can't get back to sleep.

Weird things happen when he is traveling - and I don't know whether it is sleep deprivation or if the weird things are actually happening.

Last night about 11 I heard a cell phone ring - only it wasn't any of the ringtones I knew from the ones we have at the house. Might have been an alarm from one of the old ones. I looked around but never did find it and it only rang once. But then again I was way past tired and I was trying to watch the Chargers and Giants game while drifting off - so who knows.

Then about 6 this morning, (after the Katrina refugee hound dogs next door barked until 2am) there was a loud crash and what sounded like a feed pan. I got up, checked the house - then checked the yard. Never did find out what it was - though now that I have had some coffee, I think it might have been something at one of the neighboring houses or a branch hitting the roof when the rain started.

I went out on my normal rounds, this morning I should have audioposted - the goats were in rare form. Seems the barking dogs kept them awake last night too - and they had eaten every last bit of the grass in their little pen. I was not moving fast enough for them and they let me know it. They got a new sister over the weekend - hopefully Justin will post about it - but suffice it to say that she was likely to be on the menu at a Cuban family dinner - so now she is in our yard.

The dogs were barking again, and I could smell the musky scent of the fox outside the fence. I'm pretty sure he lives in a den down by the creek, and I hope to get a better handle on exactly where that is when we start clearing the fallen trees and make a path through the woods. ( I learned this year that you have to wait until it is under 50 degrees before you start moving trees or you will have the unwelcome surprise of venomous snakes - so we have about 20 trees in various states of falling in our acreage).

As I walked about this morning, the sun was coming up making hte sky pink- our spotlights were still on in the yard, illuminating the branches in the woods, I thought about winter projects - making a walking path, building a mini-barn for the animals, extending the pens, maybe even adding a deck to our French doors which open to a two story drop. I am excited about all the timber we will have to build with - anxious to make some of those stump stools that we used to have at the lake house - anxious to clear where the garden will go in the spring, I miss my garden. There is so much potential here, and I cannot wait to make it into even more of a retreat.

2 comments:

Badpatty said...

The creepy spammer just underlines the point that I miss you and I'll see you tonight.

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

I hate being alone! All the creepy noises come out and my dogs bark non-stop.

And don't even start on the odd "rings" and such that go off on the house!

You have refugee hounds from Katrina next door? I'll have to read further back to find out about this!