Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Shep

I have an old friend - well I still use the term, though we have certianly drifted apart and it has been nearly five years since I have spoken to him - and this old friend has always loved New Orleans. Even though he lives in Chicago, he was a frequent visitor to Mardi Gras and eventually bought an apartment there. I looked him up last year and he had married the girl he had dated forever - I didn't feel right about calling, but was happy for him just the same.

This morning's paper was covered with pictures of New Orleans and the massive destruction that has befallen the folks there. The stories are horribly sad -and it made me think about him. His heart must just be breaking.

How often do we have someone in our lives that affects us, changes us, and yet we never get to tell them as much. He introduced me to Bob Marley - whenever I listen to the Legends CD I think fondly of him. He didn't ask me to the senior prom - even though I was sure he would, teaching me some needed humility. He promised to show up - then didn't - then showed up when I really needed a friend. We had 3am conversations when we were both lonely and couldn't sleep. He never comes to our class reunion - though he is still topic of conversation and those stories make me laugh.

We've both grown - both found happiness and someone who loves us - and today as my prayers go up for all those folks in New Orleans, I'll include a prayer of thanksgiving for having Shep as my friend.