Thursday, October 20, 2005

Why we don't eat Venison

I saw this gem at Idgie's Place today, trying to catch up, and I reminded me... (cue the going back in time music)

When I was 21, Bear was just a baby and we lived on the outskirts of Bloomington in a house that was owned by Joe's parents. There was no central heat and half the time we couldn't' afford to pay the electricity bill, so we often cooked and heated the house with the wood stove.

Joe had been gone with his buddies for a couple of days. This was not unusual, and being a young wife I didn't know I was entitled to ask where he had been. Bear was in the swing in the kitchen and I was finishing up some dishes with my back to the door when he came in.

He said hello and I leaned down to wipe my hands on a dishtowel. Before I could turn around, there was a THUNK on the counter beside me. I looked over and there was the hind leg of a deer - fur and hoof intact - from hoof to hip.

He nonchalantly said they had been deer hunting and brought this back for me to clean, then walked into the other room to get a shower.

I went to a private Catholic high school in the suburbs. Meat comes under cellophane.

I did clean the leg, made stew and then froze the rest - but the smell lingered in my nostrils and to this day the smell of venison reminds me of the unpleasant task of butchering the leg for the first time.

6 comments:

Envoy-ette said...

I'm sorry the smell overpowered the taste of venison. It's such a good meat without the hormones forced into our cows. My dad brought home a deer and elk every season. It was always a great memory for me.

SJ said...

Bad Joke Warning:

I don't eat venison because I don't have much money - it's too deer.

:)

Jammie J. said...

I don't eat venison. It leaves an aftertaste/aftersmell to which I'm not partial.

Summer said...

I love the taste of venison, once you get past the chewiness of it.

I would have probably got sick skinning it though. Yuck!

Dora said...

As a girl raised in the south who learned to prepare venison so that it wouldn't have an after taste....this meat is really good when done correctly.
There are several ways to prep it before you prepare it that get rid of the "wild" taste.
If you'd like to know some of those - let me know.
Now the mental block/memory - I can't help much with that, LOL.

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

If it's not under cellophane with a price sticker on it....

I'm not touching it.

I'm a country girl with city parents. No experience whatsoever on this stuff. (Cue the Green Acres music here.)