Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I am in love with a man in a kilt.

That sounds odd, even to me.

Ever since I was a little girl, watching the St Patrick’s parade and the Gordon Pipers with their Black Watch Plaid, kilts and bagpipes – the thunder of the drums and the sound of the pipes – the kilt was something magical. Something is inherently masculine about it. The Scots and Irishmen who marched in the parades were big – especially by normal Celtic standards. Booming men who strutted about and towered over me in strange plaids and fur hats, dark beards. The realization that the Silkie-coloring of the men playing the pipes was beyond appealing has come with adulthood – it stirs something. It is as though something magical came from the dark depths of the waters – Vikings maybe – and left a strain of men from the Isles with that wild look that is more mythical creature than man. The deep soulful eyes, like those of a seal, that seem to see right into your soul, the wild dark hair, the pale skin, the freckles dancing defiantly across the strong face.

Maybe I have spent too much time reading historical fiction, tales of brave Scotsmen fighting against all odds for honor, for their homes, for their families. Love you, Steph – but that damned Gabaldon woman has interfered with my perception of what a man should be - the kilt and strong attitude are nearly necessities. Of course I think he is more "Roger" than "Jamie". These men lived in the lands my family came from hundreds of years ago – fields and glens and ridges with lovely gutteral names I cannot prounounce. Maybe that explains the way the pipes move me to tears every time I hear them. (For the record, even during Amazing Grace at the wedding, though there was no way I was going to admit it at the time!) Maybe it was knowing that the pipes were a way to celebrate the love of our family year after year – the commitment to get together every St Patrick’s day to celebrate our heritage and our legacy.

I have pictures, beautiful pictures, of a handsome, kilted man with formal coat and silver buttons. The picture is burned in my mind and the familiarity is hard to escape - hard to separate dream from reality. I am in love with a man in a kilt - so I did what any sensible woman would do - I married him. The kilt is still draped over the Pappasan chair in our room - just in case.

Edited and reposted from August 31st, 2004

3 comments:

Badpatty said...

I am a fortunate man, and I thank God for you every day. You're what keeps me going.

Thoughts From Serenity said...

I am so happy for you both! How romantic! Always has been special on St. Patty's Day to watch the parade, take more pictures of the bagpippers and drink the green beer! (well, one year it was a flaming Dr. Pepper!! haha) Always means another year older for me! :) St. Patrick is a special patron saint also. May the Irish blessing enfold you both in its words and love.

taza said...

ahh, now you're talking my language there stace....my surname is Scots and there's a castle and tartan to go with it. my big wish is to see Scotland before i turn my toes up!

i know a couple of guys here in Tucson who wear those canvas "work" kilts--gives me a big smile whenever i see them!

--'cause, guys in skirts are way cute! (and very masculine at the same time--nothing Nancy about it!)