Monday, July 11, 2005

Welcome...

About five years ago, I took the kids out to Arizona to work on the Navajo Reservation as a field nurse. It was a dream job - still the best place I have ever worked, though I have loved a lot of other places.

The first week I was there, I met Steph. She lived across the street in the little cul de sac where we joked that they kept all the white folks. She was a clinic nurse - so we worked in the same building and saw many of the same patients.

WE became fast friends - mostly because her quick sense of humor allowed my kids to cross boundaries and still make her smile. A particular event - where Jacob found her door open, then walked through the house until he found her in the shower - and asked if he could have a popsicle. She didn't miss a beat and told him there were some in the freezer - and that he needed to close the door behind him. Jacob was four at the time - and she didn't get mad at his invasion.

luckily for me, she was my buddy while we were there - often making the trek with me to Durango or Flagstaff or the dreaded Gallup Wal-Mart trip.

After I moved back to Indiana - I really missed the ability to just hang out at her place - or have her hang out at mine - but nothing we could do about that.

Then about two years ago she met a man - a really great man - and she had the sense to marry him. Changing my life forever was the invitation for me to be a bridesmaid. She is in her 30s - he in his 40s and both have had a run of bad luck in romance - so their wedding represented possibilities - and the fact that true love exists. They were great to watch - both before and after the wedding - because they hardly noticed anyone else in the room. Nothing more beautiful than two people who really love one another. Apparently it was contagious - because I married the man I met there - something to say about her taste in men- it ain't half bad!

She has waited a long time to be a mom - practicing on my kids- how could she not, they gave her a lot of opportunity! Now Steph and Mark are expecting - and I just couldn't' be happier for her. She's gonna be a great mommy. She sent me a picture today of the little one - waving her hand hello to us - ultrasounds are wonderful aren't they.

Hi Baby girl - can't wait to see you in person -love your aunt-to-be.

No comments: