Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Waiting

The day begins and I pry myself from your bed
The scent of you still lingers on your pillow

The day has dawned and my jobs begin - mother
Caregiver farmer nurse- controlling my existance

There are goats waiting for sweet feed, ducks demanding
scratch grains and water- everyone needs more water

I let out the dogs and the scent of your soap drifts out of
The open bathroom window where I hear the water from your shower

But there are dogs to feed - I resist the urge to come back inside
wanting only to touch your face and steal a moment before you go

My feet wet from the dew in the grass, I pick up toys carry them in
Thinking to myself there will be time for us later, have to wait

There are patients to see, dinner to cook, groceries to buy
washing, cleaning, folding, wiping and cajoling munchkins to bed

The day finally draws to a close, my body is tired from labor
My senses start to come back - the wild part of my self awakening

Waiting to just be a woman again - for a moment of freedom
There is rejuvenation in your touch - filling up my reserves

Then you are home and in my arms - I can finally breathe
Air floods my lungs, and my senses are heightened

But there are still distractions, and your mind needs more time to wind down
Work and politics and family and friends steal away the time

And I fall asleep, still waiting, fighting exhaustion and sleep as long as I can
Hoping to taste your kiss once more before my dreams begin

No comments: