Monday, July 11, 2005

Waltzing Matilda

This was a long weekend - emotionally draining.

I knew on Saturday we were going to have to take the girls either to a rescue or to the Humane Society - which has a no-kill shelter. In preparation for this, I decided about two weeks ago that it would be a fair trade to adopt a pup that is a hearding breed. Enter in Petfinder - and the search was on. It ticks me off that they don't keep the site updated - but it is better than trying to hit all the shelters. By Thursday night, we had a couple of shelter pups picked out - and I had put in an application for a pup that was in rescue - but hadn't heard back yet. I sent off yet another e-mail Friday morning and was pleased with the response that we would be getting the pup.

So off to PetSmart - where we waited until she was delivered. Stood by the door for about half an hour - and the moment I decided to look for a chair - she came up the driveway. The picture on line was good - but she was beautiful in person. Nothing can wipe away the pain of having to give back pups that you thought would be a part of the family - but this girl is good medicine.

Justin has named her Matilda - she is a Border Collie Australian Shepherd cross - definitely a herder

Friday night we took the crew out for Italian for a birthday celebration. Food was great - and it was a fun dinner. Friday late I tried to stay awake to watch Hostage with Bruce Willis - but didn't make it through. Darn it.

Then came Saturday morning. I have exhausted every avenue of rescue groups for the girls - made dozens of calls - everyone is full - no one could help. So we were forced to the Humane Society. I took them, alone, in the early morning before everyone else was awake - and I cried alone on the way home, no way to fix that bleeding spot. It was the right thing to do - I cannot live in fear every time I leave the house - fearful that I will come home and find death again.

Enough about that.

Sunday was a multiple birthday party/father's day - wonderful party with the extended family - more about that later -

Hope Hurricane Dennis doesn't flood you out - he is threatening us wiht more rain and my yard looks like a river.

1 comment:

Anvilcloud said...

She looks very cute. Hope everything works out well. Sorry about the girls. Hope they get good homes.