Monday, June 06, 2005

Today I am 39 - really 39

I have seen before women who work so hard to appear younger. I have, in my time, bought thousands of dollars of cosmetics, only to find that my state of mind has more bearing on my appearance than my makeup.Think I'm kidding - I looked at Justin's blog only to see that I look younger this year than I did in last years picture!

Thank you to all of you who are coming by today to wish me Happy Birthday. I thought I would share a list of things I have to be thankful for:

1. Three marvelous, strong-willed, good humored, charming children who are all in good health and who, at the moment, love me in spite of my flaws
Bear - who is stronger than she thinks and becoming a woman of character
Josh - who is growing into a great man and a good friend
Jake - who is just joy incarnate
2. The miraculous apparition of the man I've been waiting all my life for - about a year ago - and many months of loving someone who loved me back
3. My folks - especially my dad's brave fight against cancer and my mom's willingness to still play mom even though her own task pad is overflowing
4. My girlfriends: Lora, Alison, Steph, Barb, Helen, Karen, Beth, Terri, Abbey and Lyssa - and my new sister Shirsten. Nothing better than having a pack to run with and laugh with. These women are my inspiration, my sounding board and sometimes my sanity. Talk about a blessing
5.Lots of dogs, both present and past - even when they break out of the pen, I still love those dopey dogs who worship the ground we walk on.
6. A second chance at a little farm, complete with new ducks, herb garden, pecan tree, and high bush blueberries.
7. My first love - who taught me what it felt like to love and lose, and enabled me to see Justin for who he really was right from the beginning.
8. My brother who taught me about persistence
9. Being an American, where I can pursue my dreams and whine out loud if I need to
10. Having an awesome and faithful God who has given me a multitude of "one-more chances" and Who has carried me when I could not make the way on my own.

You never know how much longer you have whether it is another 39 years - or 39 days, I am a happy girl with lots of blessings to count. Have a happy day - it is so much easier when you are busy being thankful.

7 comments:

Jammie J. said...

Happy Birthday. :)

Anvilcloud said...

Congratulations. The best is yet to come.

Dora said...

We ARE very close in age - my birthday is in 5 weeks.
I keep thinking that perhaps I might make a trip down your way sometime this month and us meet in person somewhere public. Whatcha think?

Dale said...

Happy Birthday, Loner. I love the new pic of you and Justin. Reckon you're not a Loner anymore.

PS. You sure don't look 39 to me. Justin's a lucky man, and he knows it!

magz said...

happy birthday ya little whippersnapper you!

it's no wonder we think a lot alike, though of course i have the advantage of another 10 years of maturity on ya... ha ha HA!

yer next 10 are gonna be some of the very best of your life, enjoy them muchly but remember;

no matter how hard ya try you'll NEVER catch up to me... yer older wiser sis. Tho I will give ya the better lookin youngster part.

love actually can and does erase time loner... happy birthday kid!

Michelle said...

Hey Loner! I am an aid reader of your hubby's blog and a buddy of Magz and Dales!
Many happy returns of the day!! :)

Envoy-ette said...

Happy Birthday! 39...was there just last year! It was a GOOD year!