Thursday, June 02, 2005

Rainy Day Reflections

It is raining like mad again this morning. I decided to forgive the ducks for their adventurous nature yesterday since they followed me without incident to the big pen this morning. I changed out of my nightgown and into my tie-dye shirt - perhaps that helped. I have named the ducks - unintentionally. The Crested is Flopsy - I keep calling her that it may as well be her name! The Pekin is Madge - then the ducklings have a couple who are named: Stripe and Purdue. Funny how the names just come to you.

When I came home yesterday it was still raining - so I went out to do animal check. Our white dogs are almost entirely red from the mud in their yard. The ducks loved the rain, but were a little put out that their food got wet - have to come up with a way to stop that. Since it was pretty pleasant in spite of the rain, I decided to plant the blanket flowers and yarrow I bought two weeks ago. I am having trouble discerning where there will be enough sunlight for full sun plants, so they may get planted and then moved later depending upon what happens suring the summer. The hydrangea bush is blooming - actually it has exploded into this huge mound of powder blue blooms. Our shower is two stories up and the window in the shower overlooks the backyard. When I looked out of the shower this morning, I think there is a second hydrangea bush starting to bloom and I can see the ducks in the big pen waddling around eating mosquitoes - good girls.

Over the weekend, I found a red honeysuckle bush - made the trip to Indiana worthwhile. I am trying to do the flowers in the back yard in reds and oranges and yellows to go with the redwood deck and the brown house. I think I will plant the honeysuckle and a Joseph's coat rose bush side by side at the edge of the deck so that we can smell the fragrance as we sit out on the deck. Justin loves the smell of honeysuckles - they remind me of growing up. When we lived in Indianapolis, there was a hedge of honeysuckles that grew just outside my window and I could smell them all summer long - it was a heady sweet fragrance that seemed to cling to the moisture in the air.

The jasmine that climbs up the wall smells better that the stuff I smelled at Home Depot - good thing because I was seriously considering cutting it down. I also made the executive decision that my vegetable garden will have to go outside the fence - probably in that little area that cleared when the trees fell last winter.

I have noticed that a lot of this house is a reflection or a shadow of the house I grew up in . Our bedroom walls are olive green - the same color as the carpet in my room. The kitchen walls are lemon yellow - like the wall in my room - and the yellow my mom uses at the lake house to paint all the bird houses. The basement is in browns and oranges - like our family room in the old house. It had this great built-in bookcase, maybe I will find a spot in this house to do the same thing - goodness knows we have enough books. The walls bear my mom's paintings - just like the house I grew up in .

Funny how much changes and how much stays the same.

No comments: