Thursday, June 02, 2005

Intricacies

The fine line between love
and obsession have blurred
smudging together the end of me
and the beginning of you.

Perhaps all newlyweds feel this way
Euphoric, tired, scared, happy
Totally unmotivated to do anything
But linger in another sweet kiss.

Never have I loved so deeply
That it seems the breath in my lungs
Waits for your return
Eagerly patiently blue

My own life is still here
Kids and dogs and ducks and dishes
White coat consults visiting
People in need of hope

Never have I been so afraid
To be myself, voice my thoughts
and yet I am compelled
Forced by my own emotions into honesty

There are parts of who I am
That I keep hidden, protected
And to expose these intricacies is the final
Step in being truly loved

But fear is intermingled with hope,
Rational thoughts suspended in your arms
What if you see me for who I really am
and decide you don't like me?

Or worse yet... The real fear
What if there is a reason that I have been
left before, like discarded paper plates at a picnic
And the day comes that I wake up alone again.

3 comments:

Munch said...

Great Poem. Awesome thoughts - I felt this!

Dale said...

Or how 'bout this?

What if you see me for who I really am
and decide you love me more deeply?

Beautiful writing, Loner. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Loner said...

Yoj and AT - thanks for the compliment - I felt better after writing it. Dale, you are such a joy - and I like your ending better!