Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Wedding

The weather Channel has been predicting rain on Saturday for over a week now. I have embraced this little change of plans, and tried to figure out how to amend our plans for an outdoor party. Friday my friend from Albuquerque and her husband flew in to be at the wedding. It was fun - but when you see old friends, there is just never enough time to chat about all the stuff you want to chat about.

Saturday morning came and I was up by 6 and it wasn't raining. You just never know what might happen, so I thought I would act as though the rain would pass us until I actually saw the rain. I put the pans of potatoes and pork loin into the oven, set out the candles in the garden - I had a list of things going through my head, owing partly to the disconcerting realization that people from Justin's work had not yet RSVP'd, so I didn't know how many people were coming. This made me nervous, marrying Justin didn't. So I did what I always do - tried to follow my routine. I went to Wal-Mart, then stopped at McDonalds for eggs and sausage and a Diet Coke ( I'm addicted too, AC!). The sky opened up and the thick gray cloud let out water like there was a fire. The roads and my yard were soaked.

After coming home I put out some cinnamon rolls and juice for the kids - then started getting the drink table ready. I called and talked to my mom for almost an hour and the rain just poured down.

Promptly at 8:45, the family arrived. I escaped the kitchen, gave specific instructions ( which were ignored, but whatever) and went off to try to transform myself from tie dye and ponytail to blushing bride. I started getting ready and my daughter followed me in. Her self-designated job was to make sure I didn't make any huge faux-pas in the makeup department - like using green eyeliner (which I had actually considered instead of the bronze). Shirsten arrived with video camera but was gracious enough NOT to take pictures of me in a girdle and partial make-up.

Meantime, Justin transported out friends from his house over to our house, then made another dash back to get the cake. He had to come into the room to get his clothes for the wedding and even gruffly persuaded the girls to let him through, eyes closed - to kiss me hello.

A few minutes before the wedding, I asked Jerra about the location of the service and also to get the bouquet that someone had asked if they could put together for me. The service was going to be in the family room and there had been a misunderstanding - so there was no bouquet. My mom had talked to my uncle who had just happened to bring a big rose topiary and a dozen white roses - which saved the day. We announced that we were ready - and were told we could come down in two minutes. We stood there, in our bedroom, just breathing each other in , waiting for our turn.

Then came the two of us strolling down our hallway, arm in arm - me in the ivory dress and him in full kilt and prince Charlie jacket. It felt as natural as breathing. Reality set in as we walked into the room - bursting with people - and the preacher standing in the open doorway. TR, our brother-in-law was on filming duty - he was on the porch outside the door.

The preacher said he would be casual and if the thunder or the rain got too loud, he would pause. The rain pounded, thunder crashed and a train went by about a block away, but he never even slowed down.
He began with a little bit about the sanctity of marriage, then went to our vows.
"Do you Jason, take Stacey to be your lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward as long as you both shall live?"
Justin replied: I do, and Jason does too.

The room erupted into laughter - we just couldn't help it. There was shushing, but it was too late. He apologized, and as the service went on, he called Justin "Jason" twice more.
Then it was my turn and he must have had some reservations about my status as a divorcee because he had me repeat two different versions of my vows - just to make sure they would stick!!
Then he prayed over the exchange of rings, and we finally got to put the rings on for good. Felt incredibly good. Let no man put asunder what God has joined together...

By the power vested in him, he pronounced us man and wife.

Then it was time to kiss the bride and for a moment, when I could feel Justin's breath, I forgot about all the other people in the room- and there were just the two of us.

Later Justin said that he just kept repeating in his head "no tongue, no tongue" - yep, he's mine.

There was no introduction of the Mr and Mrs, so we just kind of said -okay - we're done and started milling around.

One friend asked: Hey I thought you were Catholic, not Mormon -
I said I was
She replied well you married Justin and Jason and I thought only MOrmons could have two husbands.
I replied I'm just lucky I guess.

4 comments:

hedlund said...

Woo hoo! Jason is one lucky man. And that other guy too. ;-)

Anvilcloud said...

A fellow addict wishes you the best. Although every day is the first day of the rest of your life, that was a very special first day.

Ginger said...

What a funny, memorable ceremony! Congratulations.

Dale said...

Glad to hear things went off without a ... Um .. Well, I'm glad it was a good time for everyone.