Monday, May 23, 2005

I am the Rescuer of the Myachi

Last week, Josh, middle son - tortured artist - in need of a haircut - took his myachi to school where it was promptly confiscated by his teacher. It is the age-old story of her saying - "If I see that one more time I am going to take it" - and then a classmate tossing it up in the air.

So today, when it is 87 degrees, and I have the remains of a sinus infection, and a van which fusses about the running of the air conditioner, I drove over to school and rescued the Myachi. Normally, I would have let something like this slide - but since he got this little toy while with his friends in Orlando, I just didn't have the heart. It has provided hours of quiet play and frankly, it is a pretty good hobby for him.

For those of you who aren't familiar - a Myachi is a little sandbag in a velveteen case that is used as a hand version of a hackey sack. It is great for manual dexterity - and to get rid of the nervous energy invading the body during puberty.

In other news:
My dad and my friend still need your prayers. My friend had a bad weekend which could have been dramatically worse - I firmly believe prayers worked - offering protection to her.

I cleaned out the "big pen" for the ducks. It used to be used for dogs at some point and is about 25 feet long and 10 feet wide in guestimation The Pekin and the Crested were in there most of the day Saturday and Sunday, but will need a chicken wire roof to protect them overnight from tea raccoons who live in the rest of our acreage. The baby ducks - who are turning out to be quite a bright and vocal group of Indian Runners, got to move up, at least in daylight - to the 8-foot pen. During that project I also found a baby dogwood tree, who received a new spot to grow.

The dogs are on my list - both Sadie and Aspen broke out of their pens this weekend. Then I put Sadie on a wire lead and a harness - she promptly jumped the fence again - and sat on the wrong side of the fence for about an hour - still tied to the lead. They will also be getting a chicken wire roof on their pen - that should be a fun venture.

Justin took the boys over to sign up for football in the fall. He gets Father of the Day awards for also having the good sense to get their helmets from Play-It-Again Sports and then take them out for Mexican. It was a great spontaneous guys day out - and I got some yard-time!

Jake finally changed ADHD medication and all of the sudden he went from being the scattered son to the contemplative son. He took all the playing pieces from the Lord of the Rings Risk game and set up a battle scene - I think Helm's Deep - but I couldn't' swear to it. He spent nearly six hours in very focused play - almost scary how fast the change takes place. It is amazing how the drugs can have such a marked effect on the thought process.

My daughter, whom I adore, informed me this weekend that after she turns 18 she expects me to treat her like an adult -read here: extend her curfew from eleven on weeknights and 2am on weekends - or else she will have to move out. Part of her argument is that she doesn't do anything wrong - of course the reverse argument also applies: perhaps she is not "doing anything wrong" because she has an earlier curfew! Poor child has too much of her mother in her - chomping for freedom so badly that she is willing to trade out free room and board to have a later curfew. I remember well those last few months of living at home - was so anxious to get started on my "grown-up" life. Postponed any decisions about curfews until she gets back from her vacation - and then we'll see.

Funny thing about being a teenager - the only threat is to move out - which is of course the whole goal of rearing your children in the first place!

No comments: