Monday, May 09, 2005

Divine Intervention on I-65

This weekend, my daughter drove back to Indiana for senior prom. The trip up went well, and as the overprotective mother I had her call me every time she stopped with the exit number and the time.

The prom went fine - she hung out with old friends then went out for early morning breakfast - no raucous parties, just a fun time hanging out with her friends.

Then came the drive home on Sunday. She slept in , left some time around 11 and called me when she was leaving. About 45 minutes into the drive, she was coming through Indianapolis in I-65. She had just passed Methodist hospital, driving in the left lane when the front driver side tire gave way. The car pulled to the left, and since there was another car right nest to her in the middle lane, she went with the swerve and hit the concrete dividers. The car continued to fishtail, threatening to spin out of control, though now the speed had decreased. The rear hit the concrete as well, sending her skidding across three lanes of traffic and into the concrete on the passenger side. The car finally came to a stop at the end of the curve.

She never hit another car - she escaped without any injuries - other than some sore muscles this morning. This section of road has very heavy traffic - even on a Sunday morning. The chances of making it across three lanes of traffic, fishtailing and out of control without hitting another car - well, they are very slim. It had to be nothing short of divine intervention - maybe her guardian Angel was driving - because the potential to be slammed by another vehicle coming out of a nearly blind curve is just astronomical. When I went to Mass last night I took a minute and thanked God for sparing my daughter - because I know full well that she shouldn't have survived that.

My car is mashed - but it is fixable. She arrived in one piece this morning on a Greyhound bus, early enough that she won't miss school today. I remember vividly talking to one of my friends about my belief in God - in His provision, in His Mercy - and my answer rings true agian this morning - how can I NOT believe in Him, when He so clearly believes in me.

4 comments:

Dale said...

"Mighty hands are guiding me
To protect me from what I can't see."


Bluegrass musician Ricky Skaggs
"Somebody's Prayin'"

I'm glad things turned out well. You've been on an emotional high lately. It would break my heart to see you crash.

Anvilcloud said...

It was bad enough fishtailing on a lonely country road nevermind a busy Interstate. Funny, how a bad time can make us feel lucky. your daughter was lucky, or blessed, or both, just depending on how you look at life.

Lora said...

Wow, thank the good Lord Jesus she is OK!

Dora said...

From a mommy who has experienced something similar - that feeling is horrible, isn't it?
I'm glad everyone is ok and hope the insurance is covering whatever needs to be repaired.