Monday, April 10, 2006

Weekend garden update

Roma tomatoes - potted and planted - check
fertilizer around all the new fruit trees - check
rabbit manure on my rose bushes - check
wheat grass and collard greens planted along the fenceline of the goat pen - check
everbearing strawberries - rescued from the dogs and replanted - check

Now that my brother isn't coming for a while, I have to get back to the wood clearing myself so I can get my garden in. I cannot believe it has been a year and that still isn't done - where does the time go!!!

The peach tree that we planted at the end of the fall last year, may infact get some peaches this year. There are some fuzzy bumps right at the end of the flowers - so I am very hopeful. My highbush blueberries will produce well - there are lots of blossoms that the goats didn't chew off during their escapades into the yard. The apple and cherry trees look good as well - now to take the grapevines that cover most of our chain link fence - and talk them into producing grapes where I want them - instead of willy nilly all over the yard.

Baby goat Luke made a couple of trips into the front yard - where he determined that he prefers lasst years pine needles to the fresh grash and raspberry brambles we offered him. Once he is eating solid food, it will make our lives much easier!

Next weekend is Easter - and there won't be too much time for yard work - but I am hoping to expand the goats browsing area - since they have totally cleaned out the brush from where they are now. But as always, a work in progress. I guess the gardening has gotten even more important to me as I spend every work day talking about things like hidden sugars, artificial additives, pesticides and using things you could grow in your own garden. Seems dishonest to preach that, and live on everything store bought.

3 comments:

J said...

Is now a good time to plant the cherry tomato's? I'm wanting to start my hand at it, but don't know ANYTHING about ANY of it.

Maybe I should buy a book. HAHAH!
Sounds yummy- all summer you'll be posting about the fruits of your labor while I sit here and drool.

I need a crash course in gardening. I may come visit. :)

Christopher said...

Hi Loner

I always get so excited for spring planting. Usually well in advance of planting, paging through the seed catologue, dreaming of fresh veggie's .

You might want to ask the person who you bought the Peach tree from if you should pinch of the flowers this year though. I know that sounds bad but it will help the tree put all its energy into the roots in the first year. Although in your growing zone it maybe totaly unnecesary.

Cala Lily said...

I love the idea of gardening, but have been a remarkable failure at its practice.

The idea of truly fresh strawberries and blueberries seems almost magical. Yum. And Yum.