Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Step up to the Plate

I looked at another job a couple of months ago - and frankly the idea of an extra 40 grand to spend each year was pretty appealing.

But that is not where my heart lies - I like rescuing - I like fixing - I like giving hope to someone who feels that diabetes will be the end of life as they know it.

I have been really drained lately. Not from anything anyone has done wrong - but I tend to get in these modes where I start to think I am in charge of making the universe run smoothly - and I take everything so serious. This tends to happen when things fall through the cracks - and deadlines are missed because I lost track of something. Anyway - this in not what the post is supposed to be about - so I will stop digressing.

Today I had a meeting with another provider. You may remember the little gal who came in all devastated that her gestational diabetes had killed her baby. As a result of that incident, I now have the opportunity to speak to the providers( doctors and midwives) and replace some misunderstanding with truth. When a person has consistantly high fasting blood sugar levels, it is typically a metabolic issue, requiring treatment with diet, and if diet doesn't work pretty quickly, then treatment with medication is indicated. Failing this trial of diet change doesn't mean the person "cheated", it means they need medication. Some people miss this - and want to assume that every person who shows up with an elevated blood sugar is feasting on biscuits and sweet tea - but that just isn't the case.

I don't need another project particularly - but this opportunity to help dispel the myths and shed light on the physiological processes and metabolic interactions really excites me. I like physiology - the intricate interaction of hormones and receptors and nutrition and the very cells of the body. It is in looking at these delicate balances that I have concluded God is truly a craftsman. More importantly, I love to see change in a system - especially when it is change for the better. It is a chance to place blame squarely on metabolism - and off the shoulders of an expecting mother.

And in the end, isn't that what we offer people in the art of medicine: hope

2 comments:

Madcap said...

I'm glad you were able to reassure that young woman and educate the other caretakers. What a horrible burden to carry.

A little off-topic, but not too much...

I have Type II, brought on by celiac, but I've been taking accupuncture for my allergies, and Holy Hannah! My sugars are getting SO much more stable! Since it's your field, I thought I'd let you know.

I'm never sure how widely understood the connection between celiac and diabetes is known, since the doctors up this way seem barely able to diagnose celiac when it smacks them in the face, let alone the tie between that and diabetes.

Anonymous said...

I had gestational diabetes with my first child, along with Bells Palsy, pre eclampsia, toxemia, and high blood pressure. I basically was a mess. My sugar level was completely controlled through my diet. I was very meticulous on what I ate and what was in everything. I had to do blood testing once a week first a fast blood draw then I would eat wait an hour and have another one. As long as I was below a 100 my doc said no meds were necessary. I was 79 for 5 months. With my second pregnancy (twins) I had no sugar problem at all. I was surprised.