Monday, April 03, 2006

A day like today

I have been really excited for the last week because my brother was going to come and stay with us for a while. I have been telling everyone and even went so far as to send him the money ( which he was going to pay back) for a bus ticket. We have an acre and a half to clear - and I just can't get it done on weekends - so I was looking forward to the help of someone with chainsaw experience.

Then other people got involved. He was told that we might be more of a burden to him and that there might be friction here he doesn't want any part of. Isn't it amazing that someone who doesn't live in your house can make assumptions about what it would be like to live with you - and then make more assumptions about your financial status. Always astounds me how some people are just blessed with the gift.

So today, I was very sad - both at the way people have chosen to talk about me behind my back - and at his decision not to come. Sad and disappointed.

Then Jake walked in - coated in dirt from the creek, and without knowing the kind of day it was, he brought me a chocolate popsicle out of the freezer and gave me a big bear hug.

It is moment like that which make life lovely and juicy sweet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just say the word and I'll drive over and slap a harelip on those gossip-y people.

Anvilcloud said...

Some people can't keep their noses out, eh? Bro needs reprimanding too.

SJ said...

Well I'll just have to cause trouble and make sure there's plenty of friction when I visit. Can't disappoint those who know best, right? haha.