Thursday, October 19, 2006

Southern Living


I come from the Midwest, and I think that probably taints a lot of what I perceive in the South. Last night I went to a Southern Living home decor party - something I would never do, except the woman who hosted is one of my favorite people on the planet - so I had to go.

The candlier is what I bought - because it was just amazingly beautiful and I thought it would be great out on our new deck - which is still theory, not reality.

It astounds me when I look at the size of people's homes. I know we had some folks in Lafayette who had some pretty snazzy houses - but this is row after row of half million dollar houses. I cannot imagine what people must be paying on their mortgages. I was completely freaked out by the higher mortgage on our place - and even with our acreage, it was no where near that half million mark. I just don't get it. What I do get, though, is that I am sadly missing out on something, I just can't place what that something is.

I was in this fantastic house - high ceilings, loft upstairs, huge kitchen - you know, an expensive house - and the other women at the table were talking about how they didn't need any more serving trays because they already had a stack of them - again, I can't even imagine. I wonder if the couple of big glass trays pushing in with my pizza stone count- 'cause I sure don't have a stack of them. Was that a requirement?

My friend, who does a lot of activism for animal rights as well as some rescue, was funny when I commented about how classy and expensive her house was. She laughed and said it was a trade off - that she'd rather have an older house to fix up if there were more land and trees. And she's right, it is a trade off.

As I pulled in the driveway last night, still talking to one of my other favorite girls, I turned off the van, rolled down the windows, saw the lights from the house reflecting on the pine trees, and heard crickets and frogs humming along in the background. My place isn't fancy. You don't pull up in the driveway and think - "wow, these folks have some cash" ( which is good, cause we don't) but it is homey - and comfortable - and like a sanctuary in the middle of town. And most importantly, it is where we have been planted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

A couple years ago I visited a young couple with four very small kids. They had a HUGE home, brand new. He was always working up north to pay for it.

This year we found out that they've split up, and she's in a condo in town.

Personally, I don't think the house was worth it.

Badpatty said...

Those other places require too much work. I like our place - animal poop and all.

Anvilcloud said...

I'm a plain and simple guy. That kind of neighbourhood would be foreign to me. What about contentment? When is enough, enough?

nunya said...

I like your place. It has personality.

Envoy-ette said...

Being in the military..we've had lots of homes, big and small, crowded and out in the sticks. I couldn't help what was outside my front door...but I could make the place (infested & all) peaceful, loving and accepting. It's not how tall the walls are...it's how huge the heart is of the owner. Your hearts go beyond your home and that makes it extraordinary. There's too many HUGE mansions that don't have the warmth, joy or love that yours does. Don't be surprised if THEY envy YOU!