Wednesday, October 11, 2006

More than corn in Indiana

well, there is more - soon to be two more girls as Bear and I head up North to see my folks and try to be of some help before they head up to Minnesota. I got a note from my dad last evening - and I thought I'd share it. Any prayers you can spare would be much appreciated:

Well, the league office (Mayo Clinic)has advised us to return to the North country to complete our schedule. We are to return to Mayo in MN this Monday (will leave on Sunday) to go thru drills (tests) prior to the Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT).

The extra chemo treatment here in Indiana was not successful in shrinking further the tumors, but the Commissioner (Mayo Doc) said we might as well and proceed with BMT. When I reminded him of what he said on our last visit, namely the tumors were too large for the BMT to be successful, he responded, "What choice do you have? Not much. This is the best option going, even though the prognosis for success is low." Coach agrees.

So we head back North. As I have subsequently learned, success means all the cancer cells have been eradicated. We'll take a partial success ("low" chance of complete success as Commissioner puts it). I have also met people who have gone through this procedure 2-3 times and have survived for 10 years. Maybe if you do it enough, you wear the disease down. So its back to Mayo for 2 months (that is, if we pass the preliminary tests). It's going to be a wintry season as it turns out. Oh well, if one has to be laid up, it might as well be snowing outside. Should be pretty holidays.

Stacey & Jerra are coming up for visit Fri & Sat before we go. Nice to see them. This season is getting a little long - been fighting this for 2 years now and prospects don't seem to be getting any better. Feeling pretty good right now (played golf yesterday- beautiful day), but the Commissioner will take care of that. That's the way these cancer docs work, you start to feel better and then they take care of that with another treatment. I noticed several obits lately where they say the person succumed after a 2 year (or 3 year, or 5 year) battle with cancer. I hate those obits because I know what they mean. But we haven't given up - still got some games left in our season. God bless each of you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. I'm hoping for more years for him.

Anonymous said...

Hug him for me and tell him my prayers are with him as always. Love to him and Mom L both.

Love ya Girl,

Lora

Anvilcloud said...

That guy, your father, has a remarkable attitude. I rather think that he has passed it on too.

jill said...

Hang in there. People are praying more than you can imagine.

Christopher said...

Your family is in my Prayers.

Say I am not far from the Mayo (an hour or less I think). If you fly up to see your dad you can surely have the use of my car while your here. I can walk to work and can go without it for a week or two. Save ya a few bucks on a rental. Drop me a line at Schoeney2004@yahoo.com.

lifemundane said...

My prayers are with you as usual. Love, Meri