Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Night I Became Joe Loner, by his grandaughter

We have a phrase among the family, used to decscribe those moments when logic overtakes gentility, and a person says what needs to be said, even if it is a bit offensive. These moments are often wrought with high emotion - but they are moments of truth. We call it beign " Joe Loner". My grandfather was a bright man, worked with his hands most of his life. He married a Scottish Protestant - a Stewart no less - whose family disowned her and her 9 kids because she had deigned to marry a Catholic. Quite the story, though off topic at the moment.

I went to church last night for a meeting of the teachers of Religious Education ( CCD for us old timers). I am new to this parish, but volunteered for a couple of ministries to get to know the other families. During the course of the meeting, some problems were discussed - and much to my dismay - all of the solutions were punative. I was sitting back, and saying - "hey God, I offered to help, but I wanted a place of sanctity - and this isn't it. I think this is a mistake"

Well, He doesn't take these comments easily.

A man infront of me interjected after a particularly heated interlude, saying that his experience had been that we get more results with honey than with vinegar. A couple of people poo pood him.

Then Joe Loner took over. I raised my hand, looked directly at the priest and said ( something like this) I am new to this parish, but I know that there are lots of parishes who have managed to balance coffee and donuts with CCD. There are ways to reach an amicable solution. All I know is that so far all I have heard is punishment and discipline. We are here to teach the kids about being Christian - and I don't hear anything about love and mercy and patience and acceptance. I realize this is important, but do we really want to show the kids that being Christians means being punative? I don't.

Father looked me right back and said: well, young lady, if you can come up with a positive solution, have at it.

I have taken that as a personal challenge, just as my grandfather - or my folks would have.

I believe God doesn't put us anywhere by accident - that things are tied together for a reason. But just like those who came before me, my idea of what I can handel and His, don't always match.

Let the coffee and donuts begin!

2 comments:

Envoy-ette said...

Good Luck! My mom had it out with the Pastor at her church..politely of course...because he is from the Bob Jones University and he preaches fire and damnation every Sunday. Mom got tired of hearing it and asked.."when are you going to preach about JESUS?" Boy that made him mad! And he wonders why his church isn't growing..and people are running out the door!

Envoy-ette said...

Oh Yeah...we may be distant distant cousins! My line is from John Stuart (Samuel)...and an other Scottish family called Wallace.