Monday, August 14, 2006

Yellow

Back in December, my mom bought napkins and plates for Bear's graduation party. We were hoping to have a big party - but there were issues with one of her classes, then money has been tight - and it just hasn't happened. So I tucked the plates away.

We decided to have a little get together this weekend, and since our house is in no state to welcome visitors, we decided to have it at the clubhouse where my inlaws live. Saturday I had to go get the remaining supplies.

Right there in the party aisle of Mega Mart - it hit me. My daughter - the baby who saved my life - my constant companion - is moving away. Maybe forever.

And I wondered if I had told her everything she needed to survive on her own - if there was anything I had forgotten - if I had been a good enough mother for her.

The tears just started flowing - and I couldn't even decide what color napkins to buy - so I did what any insane person would do - I called my husband and asked him to describe the plates my mother had bought back in December so that I could match the color of the napkins over the phone. Seriously.

Luckily for me, he didn't divorce me over that one - though he did remind me that this was no where near the version of the woman he married.

The party was great, so was the cake, and watching her, I think she's ready.

Oh yes, and I picked the sunshine yellow napkins - to combat my ultra blue mood.

6 comments:

Mahala said...

*hugs* I feel your pain.

Dale said...

I wish Dan would soon grow up. I'd love to see him leave his mother's house. I'd love to see him get a JOB.

nunya said...

doesn't everyone match napkins over the phone?

Seriously, big hugs coming atcha for the first one to fly the nest.

Dora said...

I can relate to that feeling of wondering did I tell her everything she needs to know....
Sure you did - but you've done it over the past 18 years.
You taught her a lot, life put in the rest - if there's any holes in there, she will find them. She might ask for your advice (or not) but she's ready.
We just moved our oldest daughter back to school for her 2nd year. It gets easier but you will always be her momma and that blue feeling still will getcha.
The good news for you and her is that you guys have a great relationship that is about to take on new parameters and possibilities :) And you don't have to match napkins for the next phase. Enjoy.

Badpatty said...

You know what? I LOVED that call. It was charming and adorable, and was yet another glimpse of the girl inside you.

Bear said...

I love you Momma...I'm ready...you've done well...don't worry so much.