Thursday, December 15, 2005

Winter wonderland


Our furnace went out the day before yesterday - the repairman is coming today.

The blessing of having an older house is that it was originally built with electric heaters in each room - which proved valuable in light of the freezing temperatures and lack of furnace.

I also hooked up the vent for the dryer - so that all that warm humid air would flow into the house and warm it up - it was tropical before bedtime.

Then the rain started, and the ice started accumulating.
About 5am I woke up, it was starting to get cold. I looked around to find pitch darkness - and thought we might have blown a fuse with all the electric heaters, then looking out my window I saw that everyone on the block had darkness. While I stood there at the window the lights came back on - like a magic wand had sprinkled white fireflies all over.

The drive into work was uneventful -and beautiful as the rising sun danced over the ice covered limbs. The roads were wet, but passable.

So we may not get a white christmas, but the iceglazed limbs were just phenomenal.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Frost on branches is always very fetching. I don't know why I say always -- as if I see it more than a few times a year. :)

Dale said...

Lovely! But I thought you lived far enough south that you wouldn't get cold weather.