Sunday, December 11, 2005

What I've Learned

I've learned . . . that being kind is more important than being right.
I've learned . . . that when you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.
I've learned . . . that one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow you may have to eat them.
I've learned . . . that I can't choose how I feel, but I can choose what I do.


Courtesy of Andy Rooney

My friend pointed out to me that I am quick to forgive - that a person may hurt me over and over again and I forgive them. Sometimes this is a good thing, as harboring old debts eats up your soul. But sometimes, I forgive so quickly that the person is apt to hurt me again - and the repeated damage from getting hurt over and over again isn't too great for the soul either.

I have always been keenly aware of most of my faults - and after a rather rambunctious period in my twenties, I feel like I can understand a lot of "stupid" things people do - especially since I have made many of those mistakes myself.

I still struggle with finding that fine line between being forgiving and being a doormat.

2 comments:

Munch said...

I am exactly the same way. I think it makes us better people though because we approach things with an open mind.

Dale said...

A psychologist once told me that forgiving is not the same as condoning. You have every right to express your feelings to the person who wronged you. And then forgive. We treat our children that way.
"I am very angry right now. I feel disappointed. But I still love you."