Monday, April 18, 2005

When all else fails, garden

By Friday of last week, I was at my wit's end - even reading my post again this morning I can feel the adrenaline pulsing out of the words. Friday night continued to be a bit tense, but I got a lot of things put away. Box amnesty is over and on Saturday afternoon, we were able to clear out most of the boxes. The house is really coming along well.

I put together a wall-unit that my parents bought in Germany the year before I was born. I have put this thing together so many times that a house doesn't feel like home until it is up and covered in books. It is a lovely piece of German engineering with drawers and shelves and cases - and even though this last trip required a bit of wood glue to put her together, the bedroom now feels like it is really mine with the wall unit up.

Saturday morning came early and I went outside for about an hour before anyone else woke up. Such magnificent therapy. I moved some planters to the back mini-pond, planted a border of blue pansies and then popped all the bulbs I had in the ground. My co-workers threw a bridal shower-party for me and gave me a bag of purple gladiolas - popped those in the ground too along with some irises and two very dark blue delphiniums - my favorites. I re-potted my gardenias and then to my surprise, found a lovely fuschia columbine blooming at the end of the driveway. I plucked her up and planted her by some newly-blooming azaleas just bursting with pink speckled blooms the size of Easter lilies.

Later that morning, we went to meet the preacher. He is an old family friend of Justin's and it turns out he is an organic gardener AND has a box for the local wood ducks to nest. We hit it off right away, and he gave us a chance to talk about how we met - always my favorite story. Then we were off to taste wedding cake. Oddly enough I have never done this before - how much fun is tasting wedding cake?? Wondrous - they have a yellow pudding cake that nearly drips with fat - but what a wonderful thing. We absolutely had to order that cake. Can hardly wait to partake!

After getting home, I went back out to the garden - only for an hour - and lined up the bricks to outline the pecan-tree garden. I found a low-growing gardenia close to blooming - and hopefully it will bloom on time for the wedding. I also bought a shrub - cannot remember the name - but the blossoms smell so incredibly sweet - I'll find it and post it.

Saturday night, Justin brought home a movie and I sat sore but relaxed - and watched finally feeling peaceful.

Sunday we got the grass cut, picked up about two truckloads of sticks and then I started pruning away some of the dead wood and those pesky little trees that have taken over the yard. I have two trees with blossoms just waiting to burst over the next two weeks - not sure what they are either, but I will have to look since they seem to be due to bloom in time for the wedding. Also found some pansies at Wal-Mart, the tag said the color was "sorbet" but the colors looked like raspberry and orange sherbet swirled together. Had to buy them - going back for more tonight. I planted these next to the pecan tree- which is patiently waiting for the wedding so that it can unfold the remainder of it's tiny leaves.

They say that physical activity relieves stress - so when all else fails, dig into the garden. A weekend spent pruning, planting, mowing and lifting has healed whatever was off kilter last week - thank God!

1 comment:

Anvilcloud said...

I guess that you are able to do now what we'll have to wait another month to do.