Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Chemo 103

I have to admit that I had the dates mixed up - thought my dad wasn't getting another treatment until next week - and I was NOT the good daughter, calling right after he was done - because I missed it. Sorry, Daddy.

Here is his report about the chemo yesterday:

Today we met our third opponent (chemo treatment). This opponent intends to be as tough as the first two. However, Coach gave me a new weapon to use - in addition to regular plays, he gave me an injection of ARANESP to help combat debilitating fatigue. Have to get a booster every two weeks - so we'll see if this new play can help score a few more points and keep the opponent out of our endzone. Also in two weeks Coach wants to do a CAT Scan (the one Scruffy wants to observe) and a PET Scan (Scruffy doesn't like) to check progress in "wiping out" opponent. If they look good, may be able to reduce number of treatments. That would be a blessing. Can't tell yet, but tumors in neck have certainly reduced. Coach says he can still feel them, but he is kind of fussy - demands maximum preparation - coaches like that are good and help you win, but they can be kill-joys, if you know what I mean.

A Cubs baseball hat has become a permanent fixture on my head - hair was coming out in globs, so just had it buzzed off. Thanks Bubba (a teammate) for the use of the clippers - made the job a lot less painful. Now just need a little suntan on the old cranium. Go Cubs!

We should be able to move the ball pretty well against this opponent the first quarter (rest of this week). However, based on past games, 2nd quarter (beginning Sunday) the going may get a little rough. But, one never knows - different offenses, different defenses, can bring surprises. For once, I would like it not to be such a close game - a blowout would be nice - just be able to take it easy the whole time until next game 3 weeks from now.

God bless everyone - thanks for your prayers, thoughts, notes, and cards. They are very much appreciated. I need as many prayer teammates as possible. Let's see if we can't go undefeated - it would be a tall order but with a team like you all, anything is possible.

1 comment:

Badpatty said...

Ack! I didn't realize that he had another treatment already, either. Well, you can let your dad know that, if he buys himself a Mach 3, I'll share techniques with him the next time I'm up there.