Sunday, August 08, 2010

Treasure...

Did you ever have something in your hand that you thought was not very valuable, only to discover that it was real and valuable?I have gotten kitchen gadgets and jewelery before thinking they were cute or ingenious, and later discovered that they were far more valuable than I had originally estimated.  I find that with people sometimes.   I'll meet someone and think they are interesting and down the line, I find their companionship and counsel invaluable. Sometimes the most mundane of circumstances produce the people who will make up your friends for the rest of your life- and it is a joyful surprise. You just never know.   Have you had it in reverse: where you thought something or someone was incredibly valuable and that you couldn't live without it or them, only to find that you got along just fine after they were gone. I don't miss my dishwasher at all- and I thought I had to have one to survive.  Turns out, you don't.

As a little girl I was always fascinated with the story of the man who had a huge harvest and was planning how to store it when God took his life from him that same night.  This story quite frankly, scares me a little. As though the minute things were going well for the man - poof - he was gone.We seem to stay so very focused on monetary wealth, on what we have, what we want, what we would get if we had a million dollars...you get the picture. It always surprises me that we value each other much less than we value our things.  A big screen TV does not hold you through a long night, an iPod doesn't bring you meals after you come home from the hospital, a new car doesn't stop to ask if you need help with the yardwork.  I know these are obvious examples, but the most glaring thing about the story of the man is that he was planning ways to provide comfort to himself with all of his wealth.  There was no mention of what he would give to widows or orphans or his good-for-nothing brother or anyone.  It occurs to me that this may be the reason that his life was taken: his laser-focus on his owncomfort without thought to sharing the wealth with others.  Maybe this is the difference between wealth which is shared with others and is a blessing versus wealth that overtakes a person's life because they are struggling to keep it to themselves.

I have not had to worry much about wealth as an entity.  Probably a good thing.  I think people are more valuable than things- though I do like having a car, using it to see my friends and patients is it's more important purpose.  The most important thing we can do is to let others know just how important they are, how valued they are, flaws and all, and how much we appreciate them in our lives.  So today, if there is someone you should thank -take the time and do it!

 

1 comment:

Anvilcloud said...

In my own estimation, I am blessed. In other people's eyes, I guess I wouldn't be as my barn isn't exactly overflowing. Hmmm, where is my barn anyway?