Thursday, August 05, 2010

The New Church

It has become a more and more popular trend for people to repeat those lines from "stigmata" that the church is everywhere- outside, in the grocery store, under a rock, in the woods, with friends - you get it, everywhere.

While I do agree that the church extends into these areas, I don't think there is a reason to devalue the legitimacy of church as a building filled with people who are in need of the salvation offered within.  How can I learn about how others have struggled and triumphed with issues of faith without going into the building?  How can I physically see my neighbors and friends each week, and listen to the Word of God from the Old and New Testament without going into the church? How can those who are new to the faith- or returning to the faith be assured that they have access to information - and that that information is legitimate?  How do I get FED with the sweet essence that is the breath and word of God without going into the building?

Truth is, there are workarounds for many of these things - my relationship with Christ doesn't end when I walk out the doors, neither do my friendships.  But life is short and our list of work to do is long, so we don't make it around to see people like we used to, the church affords us this luxury.  My favorite argument for going to church- even when there are people there I don't like, even with the restrictions of my faith: the fact that I can give of myself entirely to Christ during that hour or so that I am within the pews.  No internet, no phone, no interruptions, no dogs barking or FedEx guy at the door- just me and My Redeemer.  It is liberation beyond measure.  The experience fills me with joy- I see my friends, I witness the miracle of the Mass, I bask in the glow of Communion and I am still and listen to what God says. It is the time that I breathe.

There are things about the Church that I don't agree with - and certainly some people within that I don't agree with.  Sometimes it trying out several parishes before you find one that "fits" the rhythm of who you are and how you NEED to worship.  That's okay too.  Churches are filled with humans and we, by our very definition, are a living, growing, complex system that doesn't always mesh with the next system.  And we make mistakes, and we fall down - the very reason we are at church in the first place.  We have recently started going to a new church and I love most everything about it from the tiles which remind me of some ancient cave to the baptismal font's lovely melody in the entryway. But it is still just a building until it is filled with believers and the power of our prayers. I really like the pastor- but pastors are like doctors: you have to find one who speaks to you in a language that your heart understands and responds to.

I've been a single mother for most of my life- and apparently not a very smart one.  I wasn't receiving support and chalking up all the extra money in my account.  Instead, I was working my tail off and trying to find a way to rob Peter to pay Paul and keep the lights on.  Not an easy task- and a a result of my need- my inability to meet my very basic needs like utilities and groceries - I turned to God for provision.  And in a gesture that I did not deserve, He provided. Time and time again.  Through joblessness, through sick kids, thorugh nursing school, through brain surgery and the zillion other little things we needed, He rescued us. So I take my faith very seriously- it isn't an abstract idea- it is an inherent part of who and what I am, as much as being my father's daughter is a part of who I am.

No comments: