Monday, August 23, 2010

Moving Day

While I realize that it is not actually my responsibility to mother the entire planet- those people in need of mothering who are in my immediate viscinity, will be mothered.  I called two boys "sweetheart" at the gas station tonight - and between them they probably wondered if I had plum lost my mind with their tilted hats and saggy ghetto pants.

You see, I am back in my groove- and today - I decided that we needed to get the girl and her son moved out of that unsafe place.  The story was relayed yesterday that there are people sleeping in her apartment and drinking and throwing trash and smoking weed even though she isn't staying there - all after she received her eviction notice.  These same people refuse to help her pack or move ( and if one of you are reading this:shame on you - you need a mother very badly). So her parents aren't here - her baby daddy is busy - and all those people who were proportedly her friends cannot be bothered to help.  Well.....what am I supposed to do, just watch her lose everything and self-destruct?

But the real issue is: this isn't between me and her - or me and her parents - or me and that cute boy Charlie - it is between me and God.  When He presents me with a challenge, I am called to see Him in her face - in her soul- in who she is.  Would I have let someone come in and trash all of Jesus' stuff because it wasn't my problem?  Man, I hope not - thought I know sometimes I can be a jerk - I would hope that I would do the right thing.

So we moved as much as we could - and honestly, I wish I had a picture of those kitchen chairs that were tied with strips of bedsheets to the top of my Jeep - or the subsequent trip with the tabletop duct-taped to the roof.  Oh it was classy!

( the picture isn't actually us, but it is pretty close!)Now the whole area next to the driveway is covered in her furniture and the assorted things we could salvage.  That second phase of moving the items into the basement will be done by younger hands than mine. 
The only casualties were the aforementioned sheet and two broken nails.   Not bad, considering. 

It isn't permanent
It doesn't repair the damage done by others
It does give muscle and bone to what I say I believe
and it was the right thing to do.

Now I am going to PASS OUT because working all day and moving furniture all night is a bit much for a 44-year old!

No comments: