Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What are friends for?

Over the weekend we took feed duty from our friend's farm which is about half an hour away. They watched our animals when we went up to Indiana several weeks ago - so we returned the favor. On Saturday things went smoothly - even feeding the horses, something I haven't done in ages. Then as we were taking a final survey, we noticed one of the ducks limping. We loaded her up - and after almost an hour of minor surgery in my kitchen, we removed a large piece of bamboo from her little webbed foot. She has repayed my medical treatment by hissing at me every time I ocme near her - and she is not too thrilled about the cage either.

On Sunday, we arrived to a peeping sound - one of the hens had 5 baby chicks. We rounded them us, since the last batch go eaten by snakes living in the aforementioned bamboo. They were happy to hear about the new babies and we agreed to keep them until they get big enough to go in the yard. We had to take Smeagol outside and put him in a seperate cage. He has a nasty case of tapeworms - and I am using an herbal treatment with honey and garlic and castor oil to help him get healthy. He is way too thin - and too young to treat safely with the wormers I have - and I'd prefer a healthier gut for him anyway. Today he looked much better - but he is a little miffed about being kept away from the other kittens. Oh yea, and I think they would tease him anyway - he REALLY smells like garlic.

Monday morning my friend called - her sheep had given birth in the wee hours to a little lamb. Sanka is the dad, Serta is the mom and the baby Mocha had a little white face and coffee colored wool. I told my friend at work - who asked when we woudl be takign a baby sheep. I laughed this off, mostly because I don't know all that much about sheep to start with.
At 4 she called back. The baby wasn't nursing well -and I offered my renowned bottle baby services. Mocha did great overnight - just needed a little boost and some electrolytes - and now she is back on her way home - to her momma who has milk already and doesn't have to fix a bottle every two hours.

There is never a dull moment - things happen and sometimes those things are sad - but for the most part, it is a good life.

2 comments:

nunya said...

Take note: William and John would like to come over and help you feed your critters.

You really DO need a llama. (grin)

Anonymous said...

Garlic, huh? Reminds me of a song:

"Smelly cat, smelly cat
What are they feeding you?
Smelly cat, smelly cat
It's not your fault

They won't take you to the vet
You're obviously not their favorite pet
You may not be a bed of roses
And you're no friend to those with noses"
-- Phoebe from "Friends"