Wednesday, July 05, 2006

wandering thoughts

Whose idea was it that for the 4th of July there would be four nights in a row of fireworks until well after 11. I am still a little overreactive to the gunshot sound - so I have not slept well for four nights. Guess how pretty that makes me today at work - there isn't enough make up to hide lack of sleep.

And how weird is it that a nation afraid of terrorists would have all this firing and popping going on for days? How the heck would you hear the difference between a real explosion and a firework - doesn't seem very vigilant to me.

Why is it that the garden boxes I built were just awash with sun in the early part of spring - and are now only getting about 4 hours of sun. I looked at pictures of a friend's garden in CANADA - and her plants are three times the size of mine. poop.

Have you ever noticed that planning a dream can make you feel better? We have been talking about what we might do as a family when Josh graduates in four years, and just talking about it makes me happy.

The talk radio station yesterday played song dedications from soldiers who were overseas. It was heartbreaking and beautiful all at once. There was a soldier with a deep voice who talked about being third in a convoy which was blown up. He had some big injuries. He asked the DJ to play "wind beneath my wings" by Beth Midler (sp - his words) for his momma. I cried when Justin told me - and said I hope my boys are that way. And he reminded me that they are on track to be that kind of man. And I am so pleased.

Amber presented us with a kitten on Monday night. She rescued him - kind of - from a place that she also had to call animal control to rescue the rest of the animals. He is only about four weeks old but every rib was showing and you could see his spine through his fur. He couldn't stand up and when he opened his mouth to meow, nothign came out. He didn't look like he would make it - being at the very least flea infested and wormy - and probably dehydrated. So I milked Nosey - and gave it to the little guy. Two days, dewormer, kitten chow, goat milk, flea spray and a lot of water later - he looks much better. And he has learned to be a bit more vocal from Smokey, our other little guy who is now 7 weeks old. I wanted to call him Tigger, in honor of my kitty Tigger growing up - but he is still a bit on the malnourished and homely side - so the boys have taken to calling him Smiegel.

Coffee is a beautiful thing. I think when God came up with that - He was showing off. Thank You.

5 comments:

Madcap said...

Smiegel? Explanation please?

chez bez said...

Nice words. I thought the same things while watching them last night.

Loner said...

Smeigel - who later became Gollum in teh Lord of the Rings trilogy. The kitty's eyes are still bugged out and he is really thin with stringy fur... Poor thing!

Badpatty said...

Smeagol's getting to be a really cute little critter.

Damn it!

taza said...

i want to see a picture of this smeagol.