Tuesday, July 25, 2006

For a good time call....

I'm not sure about you all, but apparently I equate a good time with using the tool box. Now I know this must be some sort of Psychosis, but I am not sure what medication will diminish this urge.

I came home from work after putting in overtime, again, and took a look at that sink. Luckily, the internet has a WEALTH of information about how to put together the drain for a kitchen sink - so I printed it off, bought PVC glue and plumbers putty, and headed home. As a side note, I stopped at a local hardware store and was amazed that I actually had a better idea of what I needed for the repair than the kid helping me. Why is it that people don't use a reference - or a tool checklist in the hardware store so you can provide good service? I bought a couple of home repair books with pictures on Amazon for about 7 dollars - one would think the hardware store could afford that investment.

Unfortunately the new water lines to the dishwasher had giggled loose - so I was greeted by water on the kitchen floor. Nice.
I took the whole assembly off, detaching the coat hanger that had been used to prop it up. I glued the rings back on, put on teflon tape on the grooves and tried to peel off the places where some COMPLETE IDIOT who lived there before us had put window caulk on the edges of the pipes to make them waterproof. Mind you, it was not even waterproof caulk, and the pipes were not touching let alone connected in several places. Brilliant. And the smell from the drain, I could have lived a LONG time without that.

Anyway after that project - and satisfactorily running water through the now glued together pipes, I decided the sky was way to gray and threatening to build the pig pen - sorry Yoshi it'll have to wait another day. I headed off to the office/spare room. We have an old chest of drawers that used to be in my room as a baby - then my brother's room growing up. I moved it from the boy's room and into the spare room so that we could store linens. This house is lovely, but the storage space leaves something to be desired - so I packed the chest with linens and pillow cases and a couple of those great fleece blankets that are designed for cold nights in Indiana.

After those projects, I should have been tired - but instead, I kissed the hubby hello - after he worked yet another night until almost 7 - and headed off to get Jake's football physical done.

Let me just say, that being consistantly in the top echelons of state football, has done wonders for this program. Even at the 6th grade level, there are phone bulletins, emails and a website to keep you abreast of changing times and what to do when. I love that. We stood in line with about 300 other families to get the physicals done - but the whole thing took about 20 minutes once we got up to the stations. Very slick. Kids were running in place and getting vitals and having their hearts checked at one end and trying on cleats and game pants in another. One stop shopping that was a great improvement over last years running around to ten different places. It is always weird talking to the docs about his epilepsy - or brain surgery. They look at me funny when I present him to play - but he has done so well physically, that I don't want to deny him the chance to play - and a chance to really live.

It was a busy night - but oddly satisfying because we got so much done - oh yea, and the chicken fried chicken breasts and smashed potatoes for dinner certainly didn't hurt.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

The whole post leaves me with a warm feeling, thanks for sharing and chik and pot, yummy.

taza said...

busy woman, you....
i have a kitchen dresser! the top drawers hold dishes and leftover containers. the bottom drawers are where i put my extra bedsheets!
this casita of mine is way low on storage space too. either that or i have way too much stuff....

Anonymous said...

Loner,
Gotta love a woman who knows her way around plumbing. Isn't PVC pipe just the best stuff?

Mahala said...

Caulk on the pipes sounds like one of my bright ideas!! Taters make everything better :)

Doolittle Ranch said...

Oh good for you, I would be so afraid to do any plumbing, leave that up to hubby as I know I would probably make a huge mess out of it.

I know what you mean about storage or lack of....
Got to make use of every little nook and cranny.

Christopher said...

Smilin' with you