Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Glad to be at work so I can rest

This past week has just been a flurry of activity.

We left at 4am Christmas morning to go see my folks for Christmas. Just north of Edinburgh, we hit snow - not a lot, but just enough that the fat wet flakes were hitting our windshield. It felt just like Christmas.

Our first destination was my Uncle Paul's house, where my aunt had prepared dinner and was gracious enough to feed all of us even though we only gave her a couple day's notice. My cousin, Pat, was there with his new fiance. Proving my point agian that you just never know. Pat is a rocket scientist - seriously, for Dish Network, I think. Anyway, he'll be forty this year and just found the love of his life. You just never know.

My folks met us at Uncle Pauls house, with my Uncle Jim in tow. Oh the joy of a large family. It was SO MUCH FUN to get to see everyone and hear all the noise and laughter. What a blast.

We had agreed to pick up Jake from his dad on the other side of town. Unfortunatly, whether on purpose ( which I think was probably the case) or accidentally, his dad left us waiting in a hotel parking lot, in the snow, after dark Christmas day for about an hour and a half. It astounds me that a year and a half after our move, his wife is still hateful to me - and they are still mad. It probably shouldn't bother me, but the ongoing ill will is just not good.

My folks were doing as well as can be expected, both are tired and all the trips to the doctor are trying on the patience.

When we got home, we started the big project - getting Justin's house ready to sell. We spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday painting, taping, replacing light fixtures and ceiling fans to get the house ready - and it looks much better.

Unfortunately, New Years Eve and New Year's day were spend battling some kind of stomach bug that the boys had days before - it wasn't pretty and there sure wasn't any champagne toast.

Monday I tried to catch up on eight days of housecleaning - it wasn't pretty - and there is still Chrismas Eve wrapping paper in the basement. We took a diversion at 3 to watch King Kong - it was fantastic. The ending is SO MUCH BETTER than the original version, and the CGI was amazing. It was a moving and touching story with a lot of character development that was missed in previous versions. Thoroughly enjoyed it - despite some gory scary bugs.

So today my vacation is over - and my stomach is better - so tonight we will feast on traditional New Year's Corned beef and cabbage and maybe have our champagne toast.

May you have a blessed and happy 2006

3 comments:

SJ said...

Happy New Year, Loner! All the best to you & yours for the coming year!

Anonymous said...

Corned beef and cabbage...is that your traditional dish? I think our Hoosier New Year's dish was always (navy) bean soup. Uggh. In Pennsylvania, it was pork chops and sauerkraut (at least with my family) and in Oklahoma and Texas, it is Black-Eyed Peas.

Whatever you eat, good luck in the new year to all of you down south!

Badpatty said...

Well, Jerry, the kids ate all of the corned beef and cabbage while Loner and I were out yesterday. Down South, though, the black eyed peas and collard greens are pretty standard. Chops and kraut sound good, though.