Friday, January 06, 2006

just dial 911

The hospital I work at is over capacity - seems everyone and their mother contracted pneumonia or bronchitis or some other ugly bug and we are starting to divert patients to another hospital. The push is really on to get people nearly healthy and out the door - so nurses are running like crazy trying to get ten things done at once.

In the midst of this, I had two cool patients today:

The first is a lady with cancer in her abdomen - she has been fighting it for a long time, and after two months in the hospital, she gets to go home today. When I said it was a pleasure to meet her, I meant it. She was pretty fantastic with her bright pink Aeropostle beanie covering her wisps of hair.

Then my other lady, who was on the intercom when I walked in, talking to the ward secretary ordering fried fish, potatoes and some snuff.

3 comments:

Madcap said...

You can have snuff in a hospital? That's a pretty funny order!

SJ said...

In Belfast they give their patients Guinness in hospital...

Loner said...

See, now when I got old and need to be in the hospital - I am going to Belfast!!!