Monday, January 23, 2006

The Parent Curse

On the way to look at a college this weekend, after checking out a new baby goat, my feet started burning. About a minute later, I found the pesky culprit fire ants crawling in my shoe. So I did what any sane person would do - I opened the window of a moving vehicle and brushed the ants into the wind.

Just as my daughter and husband said: Be careful not to drop your shoe.

And the shoe dropped..... along side the road..... where we couldn't turn around.

I seriously toyed with the idea of touring the college barefoot - or with one shoe

But we turned around and retrieved my less anty shoe and were on our way. ( not ant-free ind you because one little fellow had the audacity to bite me again about fifteen minutes after the first incident. I crushed him)

Parents, do not do this to your kids: Be careful not to_____( fill in the blank) because it is a parent curse and your child or significant other will immediately do whatever you filled in the blank with.

4 comments:

Badpatty said...

"What'll really bake your noodle later on is, would you have still broken it if hadn't said anything?"

-the Oracle and your husband

SJ said...

Ha! I can just imagine you hobbling round with one shoe. The college bursar mumbling "how will they ever afford our fees, when they only have one shoe!"

Ariel said...

When I first lived in Charleston I had the misfortune to step in a nest of fire ants. I'd never even heard of them. I got 3 stings/bites and my foot was so swollen and painful. Those suckers are nasty.

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Funny! I get caught in that too.

Did you find a Waffle House on the way? :)