Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Smile, It's a Sunny day outside, Raise your hands

Sometimes I have to let the nurse in me shine through - so here is a little public service announcement. I worked ER for a number of years where I learned that time is muscle in a heart attack and time is brain in a stroke. Knowing the symptoms of a heart attack or stroke and being able to identify them can make all the difference in the world. When my dad had a heart attack, he wasn't sure it was his heart - but he took the aspirin anyway - and went to the ER. Turned out that the aspirin helped - and it was in fact a heart attack.

A friend who has struggled with heart problems over the years sent this to me by e-mail. It is not the snazziest tune - but you won't forget the way to test for signs of a stroke.
http://www.thestrokesong.com/

And for heaven's sake - if you think someone is having a heart attack or stroke, do not drive them yourself- -let the EMTs/paramedics get to them and start an IV and medication at the scene - because time is of the essence.

3 comments:

Knight Of The Storms said...

yea but I d still try CPR.
Every since I learned it in elementary school I ve always wanted to save someone's life by preforming CPR

:)

Loner said...

I totally agree with you - if it looks like a heart attack and the person is unconscious, there is nothing better than CPR - but if the person is conscious, dial 911.

J said...

Thanks for the info Loner!! I'm saving that stuff to my file.

Btw- I've got plurousy and the EKG shows that my heart is good to go. :)