Saturday, September 25, 2004

Thanks for seven more days

I posted yesterday, but the computer ate my lovely writing. I will attempt to re-create it, as the people involved deserve some credit

The Ogre wants to kill us - he even devised a plan. Because someone had the courage to speak up, we have had seven more days and hopefully many more. Lots of thank yous need to be said - for my folks who moved me again even though they said never again, for the Indianos who showed up to help and stayed until the bitter end, for Joshua's friends who carried lots of boxes, to the lady who kept my dogs with little notice, to Beth's dad who took in my ducks and not loves them too, to Steph and Lora and Alison for listening to me and challenging me when I was too buried to see things clearly. Special thanks to Steph and Mark for listening to me try to work things through in my head while they were on the other end of the phone - thanks for helping me look for jobs and houses, too. Thanks to Beth and Deb and Karen who absorbed my workload so that I could get to safety. Thanks goes to the family who welcomed us so warmly here - even though we came as refugees. Most of all, thanks goes to Justin, and those people who continue to allow him to vent, so that he can be there for me. Chris and Mel and Rich, you all have been his lifeline - and he has been mine - so thanks for helping bear the load. Over and over again I turn to him - a very new and uncomfortable thing for me - and he never disappoints me. How crazy is that - not an exaggeration - HE NEVER DISAPPOINTS ME. I have never depended on anyone in my life - or at least since Jerra came along 18 years ago. I don't think of myself as a control freak, however, when you have a lot of responsibilities, I guess there are some things you need to control. It has been wonderful to turn that control over to someone else - and have him effortlessly carry the burden. What a new and amazing thing. He has been kind and gracious and a better friend than I could have ever hoped for.
This week has been difficult for all of us - giving up everything you know and love can be a bit disconcerting - never mind that someone with a gun wants you dead. The kids have managed incredibly well, a little extra drama - but that's it. Jerra has spent a lot of time watching the boys while I try to restart our lives - and even the boys have been better behaved than I expected. I have been so greatly blessed and because I have been given seven more days than I might otherwise have had, I needed to say thank you.

No comments: