Tuesday, November 07, 2006

FELLOWSHIP OF THE UNASHAMED

I have been helping teach CCD class for kids in the 9th and 10th grades - because I think it is important to be the miracle you pray for in your Church. For those of you who are not Catholic, this is the age in which they are given instruction about Confirmation - where the teenager makes the choice to to be Catholic for himself - renewing the promises made by his parents. But this is an informed choice, and is not to be taken lightly. Some people choose to make the vow, and some do not. But just like any other choice in life, once you choose a path, it is not always easy to stay on that path.

It occurred to me that I have gotten off the path a bit, over the last weekend. I got my feelings hurt over a comment that was made back to me - after I made a comment in jest - and I was allowing that injury to my pride to continue to bother me. More importantly, I have let my faith waver - months of seeing my dad sick and my husband struggle looking for work have caused me to question what in the heck God was thinking - and where He was when I called out to Him.

A few years ago, I came upon a poster with the following creed on it. I have it up in my bathroom, where I see it everyday, though I have gotten out of the habit of reading it. I thought I would share it with you - because regardless of what else I am - I am first and foremost a Catholic who believes in God as sure as I believe in love.


I am part of the "Fellowship of the Unashamed". The die is cast. The decision is made. I have stepped over the line. I will not look back, let up, slow down, back away or be still.

My past is redeemed, my present defined and my future secured. I am finished and done with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colourless dreams, tamed visions, cheap giving and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need pre-eminence, postion, promotion, plaudits or popularity. I do not have to be right, be recognised, be regarded or be rewarded. I now live by faith, love with patience and labour with power.

My gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, and my mission is clear. I cannot be detoured, deluded or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at devil's table, ponder at the pool of popularity or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I will not give up, shut up, let up or slow down until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up and spoken for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know and work till He stops me. And when He comes for his own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner is clear:

I AM A MEMBER OF THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE UNASHAMED

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I needed that today!!