Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The chicken coop is green


Over the weekend, as on any weekend, we had a project: To move the chickens to a home of their own - away from the goats who tend to squash the eggs that our chickens have so lovingly set upon. About two weeks ago, one of our girls hatched a baby chick - and when we came out to feed everyone, the chick had already gone on to a better place
The chicken coop ws left out in the woods, and from what we gathered from the kids who lived in the neighborhood, it hasn't seen chickens in at least 15 years. It was ready for a break - so we put in a couple of pine branches for a roost, put supports under the nesting boxes, cleaned about fifty pounds of top soil off the roof, and spread new leaves and straw on the floor.

Jake and I cut brush and pounded stakes - then Josh came out and chopped some wood - and Justin helped hang an old door from the basement after he swept off the aforementioned top soil. A little green paint - which was originally chosen to paint the kitchen in the old house - and ta da - the old rusted tin chicken coop is now the House of Chicks.

Two of our girls are already setting eggs, so hopefully, we will have baby chicks for Christmas!

I didn't realize, until I saw the picture, that the door looks really stupid in brown, so I will be doing a bit more painting it seems.

The only casualty in this process was me. You see, I am unbelievably allergic to Poison Ivy - and those spiky no-touch vines in our woods. I have been faithfully washing up with Burt's soap, which has jewelweed for the oils, but on Sunday, we had company - and we visited for about 4 hours before I got to wash up. So now my hands look like I was lashed with poison ivy vines - and it is less than attractive. But the chickens are happy - Mr Red Rooster is much quieter, waiting until nearly 6 to crow, and the woods are slowly becoming a part of the useable land. Totally worth the casualty of my paws.

No comments: