Monday, May 01, 2006

The Road to Emmaus

The disciples were walking along the road to Emmaus, they were troubled and talking about the crucifixion of Jesus, probably also how the apostles had scattered, Peter went back to fishing, no one was preaching, and their lives seemed to have taken an entirely different direction.

Then a man joins them, he asks why they are troubled - and He then listens to them recount the tales of Jesus adn the crucifixion and how the followers are afraid and then there are the rumors that some have seen Him alive again.

It was a great while until they sat down together - and the disciples realized who the Man was. He reminded them that He was the same man who healed lepers, gave sight to the blind, and raised Lazarus. Rather than chastizing them about forgetting Him so quickly, He offered them peace - forgave them for doubting - and called them back to Him.

Funny how the people who walked, physically, with Jesus everyday were shaken into doubt after His death. Is it any wonder, then, surrounded by a world that does not believe, we have moments where we doubt.

Last weekend, a kind soul commented that I was carrying a lot on my shoulders - and by the end of this reading on Sunday, I was reminded that I have been buying into despair. But more importantly, that I do not carry the burden alone. The same God who gave me parents when my birthmother couldn't keep me, Who restored my son after a brain tumor, who restored my dad after a plane crash and a heart attack, the same One who gave me my beautiful kids and my family, who protected me and stopped my Jeep just at the edge of the road, that icy night coming over the mountain- and Who impressed the socks off me with Justin - will not leave me forsaken. I was so busy looking to myself for strength - that I forgot the most important thing - I am not in this alone. And when something gives, and life is all sunflowers again - I'll try to remember to whom the credit goes.

No comments: