Thursday, May 11, 2006

Wind in a box

I don't put much credence in horoscopes or zodiac things, but I am a gemini. Oddly enough, I often feel like there are two personalities whizzing around in my head - and I definitely have two wardrobes.

Yesterday while talking to my boss about just stuff - she said she was surprised by the clothes I chose - that I had expensive taste and it didn't really match the farm image. I reminded her that I was the product of a private Catholic school - privy to the company of many of the movers and shakers in Indianapolis now. She laughed and said she just couldn't imagine me clinking wine glasses with all those money-laden people - that it just didn't seem to fit me. Then she just cracked me up - she said, you know I can't imagine you worrying much about social conventions - when I picture you it is like trying to put wind in a box.

Quite a lovely image really, maybe a bit more ethereal than I am feeling these days, but lovely.

When Josh was little, I was about 160 pounds - and on my 5'10" frame, that made me big, but not obese. He used to snuggle into my shoulder and say how much he loved my chubby arms. I remember thinking they were pretty chubby. I look back at the pictures and wonder what in the world I was thinking.

Last night on our way home we picked up some treats from Wally world - my current favorite is dark chocolate covered macadamias. I had a couple, then looked at the nutrition facts ( i do this for a living, of course I looked at the nutrition facts). I determined I could have 9 of those sweet miracles packed with heart healthy fats and anitoxidants - without putting my body in shock. So I said outloud - "oh, nine to a serving. I can have three more!"

Josh responded by looking at his Starburst - and saying - "oh a package to a serving - I can have all the rest!"

I told him I was trying not to become a 300 pound mom -

He looked at me funny. First, he said, you are already married. Second, you are like one of those pretty fat ladies, you know, the ones with rosy cheeks and overalls who are always saying, " here honey, have a roll, have a cookie, let me get you something to eat"

And I realize that we are all a compilation - like the story of the elephant and the blind men - a friend's image of us depends upon which part he touches.

No comments: