Tuesday, May 16, 2006

yep, it was one of THOSE days

Yesterday I was slow to wake up - my little baby Annie kept me up every two hours to feed - and I am a bit out of practice. Then Bear had to be at work by 7:30 - necessitating home departure around 6:55.

I was preparing for my presentation at work - when the school called me to inform me that Jake had a nasty cut and probably needed stitches. Great. Cue multiple phone calls arranging a doc visit - only to find that he already had an appointment scheduled for follow-up of something else.

Justin called me at 3 to tell me that Annie wasn't looking good. To someone who has already lost several babies - this was emergent. I left work and rushed home to find her cold and weak. While my husband may be the human furnace, she has no subcutaneous fat and had gotten chilled. So Subcutaneous fluids, Thiamin, antibiotic, and goat magic ( warm water, molasses, corn syrup and corn oil) later - she looked okay - but not good.
In the interrum, Luke has decided he is feeling his teenage oats - and thought my leg might be a good outlet for that - umm, no. So he was put in his kennel.

Then I heard barking from the yard - and looked out to see a flash of orange being taken from one of the pups by Maggie. And then there was the loud clucking noise. Our little red hen was rescued - but not without losing some feathers first. I put her in a cage, and finished Annie's injections. She wasn't looking any better, despite my efforts -so I put her in her box with a hot towel - and the tears just wouldn't stop.

I took her with me to pick up Bear - and when we got home about half an hour later, I brought the box back in - she was still pretty pale. Moments later, she sat up and started fussing for a bottle. She is okay this morning as well.

I coated the red hen's sore with ointment and wrapped her neck so that now she appears ot be wearing a scarf of sorts. She is still a bit shocky - but I gave her feed with antibiotics and some honey water - time being the only variable now.

Jake's sore is nasty - but shallow, long and clean, so we chose to butterfly it rather than having stitches - because he didn't want to miss the end of year swim party last night.

Nearly at the end of my day, I took Josh to our church for the meeting about confirmation and religious ed for teenagers. He was not overly impressed, but he didn't fight me about going - and for someone who is doing a lot of questioning about what he believes, that is enough for me.

Last but not least, there are the pups. We took them in from a friend who did not want to take them to the pound. The male, TBone, caught my little red hen. The two of them barked in their pens until about 2am - at some unseen threat in the dark.

But there was no point in going out to check on them - it was just one of those days.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Hi Loner,

Whew, that made me tired just reading and imagining it all.

Cala Lily said...

I too wondered when you had time to blog, much less write kind notes to other bloggers.

Thank you for all your kindness to me.

Lily