Monday, May 22, 2006

as for me and my house...

The DaVinci Code made millions this weekend. When I saw the headlines, it reminded me of the sermon yesterday. I don't begrudge the author his millions, he just won't get any money from me.

I am Catholic - not by default, or because my parents are - but because I have studied my faith and other faiths, and chosen what spoke to my heart as the truth. The more I learn about life, the more that belief system fits with what I have learned. We are surrounded by order and chaos and wonder and things unseen, and for me, it works.

I have always thought of religion as being similar to the blind men and the elephant - each man telling his own truth with his hand upon some part of the elephant. Each correct in his own right, but cumulatively they have the big picture.

So why would I give the theater 8 dollars to see a movie that doesn't question my faith - but rather calls my beliefs a fraudulent deception. It is kind of like buying dinner for the guy who punched your mother.

No comments: