Monday, March 07, 2005

When all else fails - play football

My dad played football - actually it was a lot more than that. To say we live football sounds obsessive - but we live and love it in the best possible terms. Daddy played in high school and was a local town hero whose passing records still held nearly twenty years after graduation. He went to college on a football scholarship and did a little stint with the Baltimore Colts - back in the Day of Johnny Unitas. More importantly, he coached - from the time I was in grade school through the end of my college days. Hundreds of boys had him as their coach - and he treated each of them as he treated his children - encouraging, cajoling and yelling when the need was there. My own boys knew that playing football wasn't optional - it was mandatory - at least in the beginning. Every fall is overbooked trying to watch college games, the Colts ( Peyton has such a lovely arm) and then the boy's games. Makes for a cheap date when all you really need to entertain me is a decent game and a Diet Coke.
This explains all the references to the game during the cancer treatment. Football has become like our own family secret language - and when it is written in this context - we understand. Below is Daddy's latest installment:

I've got a few minutes and quite a bit has happened since last update, so let's see how our current drive to the end zone is progressing. Of course, It's still the 1st quarter. After 1st Chemo treatment, major concern was Creatinine level (measures kidney function - Normal range = .7 - 1.2). Mine was 2.0 before chemo started. Not good because body discards cancer cells thru kidneys, so kidneys can be expected to slow down after chemo starts, but one doesn't want to start behind the 8 ball. I had to go back to Lafayette on Wed, 3/2 for blood test. Creatinine had dropped to 1.8 - good sign. Feeling really good. Neck tumors seem to be disappearing and stomach bloated feeling is pretty much gone. Went back to Lafayette again on Thurs, 3/3 for another blood test. The blood draw was an experience - our offense really struggled here - it looked like the drive was over.

It all started with nurse, Donna, who took the blood draw. She was a dandy. About a 305 lb defensive tackle - MEAN! She had to stick me twice for the blood draw. 1st time missed my port - didn't think that was possible - that's the reason you get a port installed, to make it easy and painless for administering chemo and drawing blood. She said it must have moved when she wasn't looking - Illegal Motion it looked like to me. Oh well, at least unnecessary roughness (got to protect those quarterbacks you know). Rest of blood draw proceeded OK - just didn't run the ball to Donna's side. Back to the chemo treatment room for an unplanned treatment.

After waiting for blood test results, nurse comes out and reports that Dr says I need an I V - "Oh no, what's wrong?" Need an I V saline solution. Should take about an hour. Delay of game call.

Pat and I retired to the chemo treatment room, I sat in the recliner, and we waited for a nurse to come in to administer I V. Guess who comes moseying in - yep - you guessed it - all 305 lbs of Deadly Donna. Our offense really started to struggle now. My 1st play called was, "You've got one chance to get that I V needle in that port!". The pressure was on. Needle went into the port - real slick - didn't hurt. Wow, maybe we can get moving again. WHOOPS! Donna was hooking up I V monitor to the pole which supports it so you can walk it to bathroom (remember). Suddenly heard a large crashing noise. I V monitor had crashed to the floor. "Oh, that sometimes happens" she said, and proceeded to pick up the pieces and reattach it. Major infraction -- we're backed out of the red zone. We got the offense rolling again and I V proceeded without difficulty. After drip was over, monitor started beeping and Donna came in to disconnect. OUCH! She pinched me when she withdrew the needle - pinched right where I had all the previous needle sticks. Illegal contact, I yelled. Earlier during the I V I learned that her husband just bought a funeral parlor in Lafayette. I think she's trying to drum up business. Let's just kick a field goal and get out of here (way to kick, Falk).

.Dr (great guy) came in to see me during I V and said Creatinine had dropped to 1.7, doing I V as precautionary measure- conservative coach. Wanted another blood test on Fri (3/4 - my birthday), but said could be drawn in Monticello Friday's test results were 1.4. Yea! (Cheerleaders). Creatinine level is coming down. Chemo seems to be really working in destroying cells (hopefully mostly cancer cells) and Dr wants to make sure kidneys stay flushed out.

All in all, I feel great - no nausea nor other side effects. I'm a walking drug store - let me know what you need and I can probably fix you up

First quarter is drawing to a close. Next meeting with Coach (Dr) is Tues, 3/8, 11:30. Will get some more input from pressbox. Approximately 5-7 more treatments to go. Thanks for the thoughts & prayers.

2 comments:

Cuppa said...

Good Morning
I must say that I don't know much about football, but I really enjoyed reading your dad's account of his "game" so far. He sounds like a terrific person and a great "coach" for life. I am glad I am getting to know him through your blog. Thanks for sharing him with us.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and I hope your dad scores many touchdowns in this game he is being forced to play right now. Maybe he will kick cancer right through the "goal posts" of his life and send this "cancer" ball he has to handle right now, out of his stadium completely. Miracles still do happen and I am cheering for one in his life.

I hope he can hear us all cheering him on from the stands out here in blogdom. Now where did I put those pom-poms?
Give me an "M"!
Give me an "I"
Give me an "R"
Give me an "A"
Give me an "C"
Give me an "L"
Give me an "E"
What have you got?
Miracle!
YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Lora said...

Wow, your dad's spirit is amazing! His faith is shining through and I know he will be OK, no matter what happens. He is an example to us all. I don't know if I could take this cup and handle it as he has.

Love ya,

Lora