Friday, March 11, 2005

OOPS - I need another calculator!

Did you ever do something, then after thinking about it, come to thr conclusion that you really messed things up?? Then to top it off, not ask for anyhelp because you were ashamed to admit you messed things up?

I was on duty to buy carpet and get it installed before the move. I went to an outlet store last night, felt like I got a good deal and then looked at the receipt. It said 27' ( that is 27 square feet I assumed). Well, I did the math and checked the receipt - and it looked like I paid $6/square foot for my carpet - which is not a good deal. I called Justin to have him use a calculator to check my math - still bad and he came up with the same amount.

Luckily, on top of having bad judgement, I also measure poorly - and a recheck of my measurements yeilded 4 extra feet of room to be carpeted - another oops.

I called back to the salesman, he could fix the problem for the same price and would just charge the extra yards to my Visa again. I asked if it was $6 a square foot as well, he chuckled - actually was pretty close to a belly laugh - no, no, no he said - it was $6 a square yard. Well, I rechecked my math and now feel much less like a goofball. I paid $1.48/square foot, not $6 per square foot and now I have again confirmed that my math skills are lacking. Odd thing is that I can figure an insulin ratio or an IV drip rate flawlessly - and if you are a recipeint of my nursing skills, you could care less about my bad financial skills!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Don't worry. I program financial software for a mortgage company, yet I can't figure out a 15% gratuity without checking a chart.