Thursday, March 24, 2005

Chemo 102

This is the second installment of my dad's day in chemo... I am forever greatful to those of you who have added him to your prayer list.

UNABRIDGED VERSION

We're in the middle of our second game (chemo treatment) of the season. Chemo on Tuesday went ok (chemo can never rate a grade higher than ok in my book). Little tired - friend said I looked pale - probably right - but feel ok, maybe a little tired. I'm not sure how you get tired from sitting in a chair all day. Actual drip connection was 6.5 hours. Probably going to be the standard fare. Relaxing in a way. Chance for Pat and me to share some quiet reflecting moments.

Talked to the Coach before the game - he was his usual cool, but assured self. I told him I thought tumors in the neck had come back a little bit since they initially went down after first chemo treatment. He looked at me in disbelief. Like I had told him that last play he had sent in from the bench was a dumb call and he should have known it wouldn't work. He gave me a very careful exam, and said he didn't think so but it was hard to tell because my lymph glands were behind the large neck muscle. Like a blitzing linebacker hiding behind an oversize tackle. Couldn't see him coming. I said I didn't understand this since I was supposed to have a low-grade lymphoma. He replied, "But it's aggressive." I said, "What's that mean?" He reminded me that "it's throughout your body". "Oh". Coaches must get tired sometimes repeating themselves to players. We must be continually reminded - what a blessing to have a good and patient coach. He reiterated the risks associated with our new higher powered offense (new chemo regimen) - chance of temporary baldness (wonder how I will look bald - Stacey's finance( personal interruption, finance is daddy's word, I think he has been promoted to fiance', but at times it probably feels like there is little difference!) looks good bald - seems to be the in thing except for my grandson Josh - he has a head of hair that won't quit - looks like I did in the 5th grade), chance of heart trouble and leukemia down the road but relatively small risk. Coach says we've got to deal with the opponent at hand, not lose today's game because we tried to save ourselves for a possible future opponent. Makes sense to me. However, did get a jolt (reality check) a little later when reading sheet on potential side effects of new drug. It kept referring to special side effects for the elderly. I was glad when I saw that because I was sure that didn't refer to me. Then I read how they defined elderly - over 60. Whoops! May have to give retirement some consideration at the end of this season.

First quarter of game proceeded well - no surprises. Each game brings more confidence and knowledge of what to expect. Finished chemo about 5pm and was about to leave when assistant coach in pressbox (nurse) stopped us and wanted to check a low blood count with coach. Coach said not to worry about it yet - these minor injuries are normal playing in this league. So Pat and I proceeded home for a quiet dinner. Hang in there Pat. I couldn't make it without my star player. She leads the interference.

The game usually doesn't get too rough until the 2nd and 3rd quarters - 5-7 days after chemo. At least that was about when all the serious side effects seemed to kick in last time. Right now, feel really good. Hit some golf balls today and cleaned up the yard. I think I will be better able to recognize beginning of side effects and nip them in bud this time. At least hope so - I think we have a much better scouting report for this game.

Pat gave me a tremendous gift. It's a CD done by Fr Jim Farrell, a Catholic priest from Indianapolis. He gives retreats at Fatima Retreat Center in Indy and is excellent. It is a mediation tape where Fr Jim leads you out the door, down the sidewalk to a path leading through the woods. He leads you down a hillside to a creek, across the creek, up the other side to an open field. We then continue across the field to a house with a wrap-around porch with a swing. We walk up the steps towards the swing on which a gentleman is swinging. The gentleman gets up and comes to meet us. He asks how He may help us. It is then that you recognize that the gentleman is Jesus. We sit down on the swing and Jesus says tell Him everything. He is very slow, loving. and patient with me. He continues to assure me that He loves me and will help me, just ask Him and trust Him. I do. We then finish, get up and walk with Jesus off the porch. Jesus vanishes and I walk back through the field, over the creek, and through the woods back home with Fr Jim. We talk together about our encounter with Christ. It is a moving experience and very healing. The music is also soothing. Gives one a lot of time to reflect and talk with one's Creator. Thanks again, Pat. What a wonderful gift from a great caregiver. This CD has gotten me through some very rough times, especially during the early stages as we were just learning about the opponent we would be dealing with. So we just proceed along one day at a time, enjoying each day together. Thank you, Lord, for your blessings, especially life and friends.

Not scheduled to meet with coach again until next game on Tuesday, April 12th. I have a blood test scheduled for next Tuesday, 3/29, just to check our progress. Coach said will probably do another CAT Scan ( the kind Scruffy likes) after third game to measure overall progress. Beginning to enter mid season routine.

God bless you and keep your thoughts and prayers coming. Prayer does change things.

No comments: