Thursday, June 29, 2006

What do you think?

So I have been toying with this idea - and Justin and I ahve talked about it - so now I want to get some other opinions.

I am thinking of starting a site like Post Secret - only enabling women and children who are survivors of domestic violence to tell their stories. I have been fussing about my own situation for way too long - and I struggle with the knowledge that ours wasn't the first family the Oger messed with - we were the third. Which also means that there was a fourth - and probably will be a fifth. There has to be a way to register these serial abusers - and the courts just don't take care of it.


I don't know how to get around two things:
1. hiding where my posts are posted from
2. Libel - or the situation where someone argues that what it posted is untrue.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Loner, Praise the Lord for you! I wish I had the courage. A past boyfriend who was very abusive to me moved across country and married a woman, I knew they were married and feared the worst for her. Only to find out via his parents that they were putting her on a train and bringing her here. I felt so guilty for not doing all that I could to tell her. I am not sure how you can get around those things, but there has to be a way. Anything is possible.

Madcap said...

I think the intent is great, but what I wonder is, does it help? I've known several situation where a woman has warned another woman about her abusive experience with a man, and the one currently in relationship with him always blows it off. Until it happens to her, of course.

Chris said...

Yeah, libel can be a problem. DontDateHimGirl is being sued by a man who says it's not true:

but PostSecret is anonymous. No sender names, no offender names. Just simple exposition.