Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Life goes on...

Today is my parent's 47th wedding anniversary. To celebrate, they are on their way to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota to see another oncologist. My dad's lymphoma just won't stay in remission, and has been complicated by an opportunistic infection of mycobacterium xenopi, a slow growing bug that is living in his lungs. He is on antibiotics to treat the infection, but those are hard on the liver - complicating things. He was not given much hope at the Indiana University Med Center, The Cancer Treatment Centers of America turned him down - so Mayo is next on the list. He is taking this well, of course he is, he's a loner. We have had some serious discussions about dying and living and all those things that go through your mind when you are sick. But he isn't ready to give up the fight yet - it's a loner thing ( you know, if there is a problem stop talking about it and fix it).

One of the nurse's I work with is having open heart surgery Wednesday. She lives alone, though she will have some help from extended family afterewards. Throughout most of her preliminary stuff, though, she was accompanied by friends from work - not family. That must have been really tough on her. Keep Nancy in your prayers as this will be a long recovery for her. As an aside, I had a chance at a job interview this week - making more money for another company - but because the only time they can interview me is the day of her surgery, I have opted not to leave my coworkers short. It means passing up the opportunity - and in the grand scheme of things, I am sure it will work out - though I would like that more money thing right about now.

And joyful news: one of my other coworkers went home to San Antonio last week for a wedding. Her brothers got together, decided they wanted her to stop working her socks off and move home. So they presented her with the family homestead and a job in the family insurance company - so that she will be able to be home and have money. I am so sad to see her go - she is so much fun to have around - but I am so happy for her.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Here's wishing your Dad and your co-worker the best.

Dale said...

Thanks for ending your post on a positive note, Stace. See how the good things seem to balance out the bad? (Sorta) Your dad and Nancy are in my thoughts today.