Monday, February 28, 2005

Well - poop

I love my new job - the variety is great. However, I have this one person I work with who continually talks to me as though I am the stupidest person on the planet. This is both disconcerting - and insulting. I have struggled to try to understand her perspective - we nurses tend to take our patients pretty seriously - as though each one was our own family - so maybe she was afraid to turn over that duty.

This morning, topped it for me. I came in on inpatient duty - and there she sat - looking at me. She asked if I had checked the schedule - well obviously I didn't because there I stood in the wrong office. Unfortunately good breeding prevented me from saying that if we do indeed change offices at the beginning of the week - as opposed to the beginning of the month which is what we did in January, it was HER responsibility as my preceptor to tell me - so she really needed to wipe the smirk off her face.

Why do we treat each other this way - what is gained from talking down to someone else - or acting pious or self-righteous or anything else but kind??? I truly do not understand it. Would have been very easy to offer me a bit of comfort and say - oh no problem, you don't have a patient until 10 - do you want to give me report - instead it was nasty. Well poop.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I don't know, Loner; it's beyond me. Do you think it stems from insecurity?

Lora said...

Girl.........I hear you! There is a 24 year old "supervisor" at my job who replied when I asked her a question "I hate to say this, Lora, but if you look under the FAQ's on the website you'll find the answers to all your questions." Like I am moron or something! I am old enough to be her mother and ALL the answers are not there. I understand her dilemma though, she was trying to shop on Overstock.com and I was interrupting that important pursuit! Shame on me for interruping her with a work related question!

People are basically rude and it tears me up too!!