Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Wednesday is Full of Anticipation

First the good anticipation: Tonight Justin and I will get to tell his neice and nephew that we are getting married. They have politely asked about getting cousins - and now we get to tell them the good news when we go look at the house tonight. Can hardly wait to see thier sweet faces when they find out they are getting cousins who have two acres of woods to play on!!

Today is the "Oncologist Appointment" - where my dad will get the reports back - and when we will finally have the ability to make some sort of fact-based plans on what to do. The appointment is at 4 - and afterwards my aunts and uncles will join him for dinner to talk about what happens next. Over the past two weeks he has had a PET scan, a CAT scan, a bone marrow biopsy, and an excisional biopsy - all of these things should tell us where the cancer started, where it has moved to, if anywhere, and roughly what we should expect as far as treatment and prognosis.

I have Loner coping, as I have mentioned before - not sure if it is my great grandmother's German influence - or the Scot Stuart of my grandmother or the Irish of the Loner clan, but somehow we have this family coping that doesn't panic first - we wait, we gather information, we plan, we make the best of things. I cannot see any reason to fall apart at the seams when I don't know all the facts yet - tomorrow, I may need to fall apart.

I have been keeping busy - getting engaged, doing a final house inspection tonight, closing on the house Friday and then a Saturday full of basketball games for the boys. All these things to do have enabled me to "work off" some of the adrenaline I have pent up from moments of worrying about Dad's prognosis. Truth is, when I am stressed, I work. I am not a good housekeeper - I repeatedly have said that I missed the Martha Stewart gene that my mother possesses. When I am stressed, things get done - and usually the house is cleaner than ever. ( always reminds me of that line from Jeff Foxworthy "Come on in, excuse the mess, but this is the cleanest our house has been in years!")This week, I have been cleaning - have more planned for tonight!

Thanks to you, dear readers, who have kept my family in your prayers. After we get word tonight, I will post tomorrow and fill you in.

No comments: