Monday, February 14, 2005

At Last, My Love has Come Along

Typically people get married, buy a house and then have children. We have done this totally backwards. I invaded Justin's house, complete with three kids and five dogs, then we decided to buy a house, and now we are deciding about getting married. Yep - backwards, but when I look at how odd our lives are - it fits perfectly!

The Spa
I have never had a massage before - and we decided to use my Christmas present to get a couple's massage, then go out to dinner downtown. The poor woman giving directions was somewhat directionally impaired, so we were lost and had to call again for directions - then we were late. Our hour massage was cut to half an hour...The spa however is known for it's excellent customer service and they not only comped the half hour massages we received, but also gave us a new gift certificate for two hour long massages for another time. WONDERFUL is all I can say about the massage. I remember a scene from At First Sight with Val Kilmer where he is doing a massage and the recipient cries - I thought it was odd, until I almost started that myself. Amazing how you can physically carry things around without even knowing it. The body is so complex.

The Dinner
We opted for dinner at The Cheesecake Factory - phenomenal spot - the lighting made the place a warm amber color. We waited in the bar and I had a lovely pink lemonade with Citron Vodka and Chambord - very refreshing, very potent. We were seated about twenty minutes later not far from the bar. Our waitress, Topaz, was friendly and efficient. She kept our water full the whole time - I think I drank about a gallon - apparently massage makes you thirsty. After we ordered, we decided to open presents during dinner - and I gave Justin the first part of his, a card and a cute book on 365 ways to kiss - which included a schnapps kiss reminiscent of the first time he kissed me.

I couldn't decide what to get - so I went for breakfast - THE BEST EGGS I have ever had - Italian sausage, spinach, mushrooms, onions and garlic -it was so good that I didn't even bother touching the hashbrowns ( which were also good) until I was completely done. I have to figure out how to duplicate that particular dish because it was healthy and excellent! Justin got a Chinese chicken salad that was about a foot high - incredible as well - we brought some leftovers of that dish home!
After dinner we ordered cheesecake - of course we did it is a Cheesecake factory! Again I was vexed by indecision - so we used the best method possible - Justin closed his eyes and pointed to the menu. So we ordered Dulche de Leche - which came with praline pecans and whipped topping. I gave Justin the rest of his gift, a watch that keeps time with the Atomic Clock -some little chocolates and a new lighter. The cheesecake came and a couple of bites into it Justin asked if I was ready for my present - in true classic form I had to ask to finish what was in my mouth first!
Next thing I knew he was down beside me on one knee, ring in his hand, looking right at me with those piercing blue eyes - saying "will you marry me". I kissed him before I answered him - then I said yes. Of course I said yes. Then the grin took over - this inexplicable grin that nearly shattered my face and made my insides feel like they were about 200 degrees - a moment of complete joy.

On the way out of the restaurant, a woman with her two daughters stopped us -"Did you just propose to her?" Seems they had never seen that happen before - we grinned like Cheshire cats and said yes. They congratulated us and we explained that we met at our best friend's wedding - funny. We left the restaurant and the wind was cold. I tried to wrap my self and walk at the same time - and unfortunately missed the curb. Picking me back up off the ground, skinned knee and all - Justin was very kind and didn't laugh. I told him that it was a good thing he had asked me to marry him before he saw that graceful trick!

So now I have been promoted from girlfriend to fiance' - feels pretty good. And I am looking forward to my next promotion - wife of the finest man I have ever known.

2 comments:

Cuppa said...

Oh, your story warmed my heart on this cold, blustery, rainy Valentine's Day here in my corner of the world.
Congratulations and all the best wishes as you move into this next chapter of your life.
Happy, Happy Valentine's Day

Badpatty said...

Ummm, honey? I know I don't need to point this out because I've already said it about ten times, but. . . you're going to be my wife. {grin} I just can't stop saying that.